Suggest treatment for indistinct endometrial lining

Question
I'm scheduled for a D&C this week due to an indistinct endometrial lining. I'm 50 years old and have had two previous D&C (2010 and 2006) and an in-office biopsy in 2013. I reported one time spotting two weeks ago and an ultra sound was ordered. My 2013 ultra-sound also reported an indistinct endometrial lining. I don't understand the difference between 2013 and 2014. August 2013, bilateral masc. for DCIS. What wold be the difference, the radiologist said my endometrium lining was thin but the report read endometrial lining is indistinct.
Posted Sat, 16 Aug 2014 in Women's Health

Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
See below!

Detailed Answer:
Hi and thank you so much for this query.

I am so sorry to hear about this difficulty you have been having with your endometrial lining. The meaning of indistinct endometrial lining is that they are unable to tell where it ends. This may be due to the fact that it is so thin. Indistinct in this case is to say they cannot define it clearly and report parameters like thickness, nature, glands, etc.

What were the findings of the last biopsy? If it is anything concerning or what they are unable to clearly define but not certain that it is nothing to worry about, I will suggest that you get aggressive and consider a total hysterectomy. At 50years, it is unlikely that you would want kids again. I will not encourage you to hang on to a uterus that may cause more problems in future.

In all, they are practically the same. They are unable to characterize the lining. If results are uncertain or concerning,consider hysterectomy as a one time solution to these worries.

I hope this helps. I wish you well. Thank you so much for using our services and do feel free to ask for more information and clarifications if need be.