Suggest treatment for indigestion

Posted on Fri, 23 Jan 2015 in Liver and Gall Bladder
Question: I am asking this query on behalf of my mother in law who is 58 years of age. She has been suffering from indigestion for past one year.. After having her meals she need to washroom to pass out stool and this happens 8 to 9 times in a day..She sometimes vomits too.. Her stools are black in colour but no blood in the stool. For past few days she is hardly eating anything. In literal sense very low in portion. We consulted a gastroenterologist here in XXXXXXX . He suggested endoscopy and colonoscopy to rule out the root cause of the problem..however results for both the procedures are normal.. As per him there is no problem at all. I still don't understand if there is no problem at all, why is she not feeling hungry.. What could be the possible reason? This gastroenterologist has prescirbed Mirtaz 7.5 for one month.. I understand its an antidepressant.. I really cant understand the root cause of her problem .. Pls help.
Answered by Dr. Ajit Naniksingh Kukreja 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Get a stool examination done

Detailed Answer:
Hi

Thanks for writing in

The symptoms mentioned point to urgency which is common in collitis and/or irritable bowel syndrome

I would prefer getting a stool report and a CBC done to rule out collitis before stamping it as IBS

The black stool is suggestive of errosive gastritis or may be some medicine which is causing discoloration of stool

In the mean time give her a proton pump inhibitor and a probiotic twice a day before breakfast and before dinner

Revert back with stool report and CBC
Hope this helps

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Ashwin Bhandari
Dr. Ajit Naniksingh Kukreja

Gastroenterologist, Surgical