Suggest treatment for indigestion and problem in eating

Pediatrician, Pulmonology
Question
I am looking for advice with regard to feeding my 10 month old boy. He is having great difficulty transitioning to solids. He will take purees, baby foods, but not much. If he does try something more solid (grilled chicken strips, ground beef, grated cheese, cooked carrot cubes, to name a few) he will chew and gum at it until the flavor is gone then spit it out. I can see that he is hungry, he just can't get it down. Mealtimes are becoming frustrating for him, and very worrisome for me. If he does take the chance and swallow, he will choke and cough and vomit the food and mucus back out. He is underweight and not gaining as much as he should be, as of his 9 month check up. We are due back in one week for another check up and weigh in. I don't feel that he has gained much if any in the last three weeks, and anyone would be hard pressed to suggest something I haven't yet tried to get down him! The doctor did not seem concerned at all about his difficulty swallowing and stated that all babies gag like that. I feel it is more than that, but I have no idea what it could be. I've contacted here because I would like to ask another's opinion and request some info or ideas that I could present to his Dr to open up the conversation. I am not sure that it is relavant to the swallowing concern, but would like to mention that all of the experimentation within the last while as also uncovered an egg allergy that I need to discuss with his Dr. We have had 3 reactions, each progressively worse. Hives, blotches, swelling. 1st one was a bowl of soft boiled eggs, last one was egg whites in pasta.
Thanks for your assistance.
Posted Wed, 27 Aug 2014 in Child Health

Answered by Dr. Arun 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
could be oral allergy

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Thanks for writing to health care magic.
As your doctor mentioned, kids at this age do gag a lot , better to give soft foods and gradually transition him to other solids.
Avoiding eggs is the best way out for egg allergy.
Discuss with doctor the possibility of oral allergy . This can cause swelling in the mouth , throat which could prevent him from swallowing solids.
Other possibilities include oropharyngeal dysmotility which can cause difficulty in swallowing. A barium swallow could identify this.Your doctor will know about this.

Wishing him good health.
Dr Arun

Follow-up: Suggest treatment for indigestion and problem in eating 7 hours later
Thank you for your reply, Dr XXXXXXX
We have indeed started with much softer foods, which are also not well accepted. That was when it was suggested that maybe the little one was done with the puree stage and to try more solids. I am now offering about 50/50 at every feeding.
Is it also normal for them to spit everything back out after chewing?
One other thing that I forgot to mention is that he does have a lot of what I would call indigestion. He gets "wet burps" after almost everything he does eat, even his formula.
Thank you again for your time.

Answered by Dr. Arun 3 minutes later
Brief Answer:
yes it is ok

Detailed Answer:
Babies tend to spit out after chewing which is pretty normal.
The wet burps could be normal or can indicate indigestion or lactose intolerance. Try testing stool for reducing substances . If positive you may need to avoid lactose formula and switch to soy formula.