• question-icon

Suggest treatment for indigestion, abdominal bloating and irregular heart beats

Posted on Mon, 24 Jul 2017 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: I have been taking chondroitin sulfate for about 2 or 3 months. I began feeling bad when I would eat and my heart would start to skip. It has always skipped but it began to do it very bad... every few beats. I checked side effects and found out about irregular heart beat from it. I stopped taking it and haven't had any in 24 hrs. It seems better but it is still skipping. I was taking aspirin for my knees and thought it was the aspirin effects on my stomach but then the skipping started getting worse. Will this keep getting better after stopping the chondroitin? I also have asthma and it seemed to make it feel like I couldn't take a deep breath. None of these side effects were mentioned on the website for the Glucosamine sulfate Chondroitin sulfate supplement with MSM and herbs.
Answered by Dr. Ilir Sharka 58 minutes later
Brief Answer:
I would explain as follows:

Detailed Answer:
Hello!

Welcome and thank you for asking on HCM!

Regarding your concern, I would explain that your symptoms could be related to indigestion and bloating which are common adverse effects of glucosamine chondroitin sulfate.

I agree with your decision on stopping it.

But, if this situation persists despite stopping this supplement, I would recommend consulting with your doctor for a physical exam and some tests to investigate for other possible causes underlying your complaints:

- a resting ECG and cardiac ultrasound
- an ambulatory 24-48 hours ECG monitoring to investigate for arrhythmia
- complete blood count for anemia
- thyroid hormone levels for thyroid dysfunction
- blood electrolytes for possible imbalance.

You should discuss with your doctor on the above issues.

Hope to have been helpful!

Kind regards,

Dr.Iliri
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Follow up: Dr. Ilir Sharka 1 hour later
If the symptoms seem to be better after 24 hrs would that suggest stomach instead of heart? If it were to be heart are there lasting effects or temporary? My grandmother's heart skipped (more so after eating)... she lived to 87. My mother's heart skips ...she is 85 and goes dancing once a week. Could this just be hereditary? I had an ambulatory ECG in 2001 after a diet pill and too much coffee caused the skip to increase and it went back to (my) normal. The cardiologist didn't seem to be concerned then. My LDL/HDL ratio is always so good my report says negative risk for heart disease, lifeline screenings show no plaque and my blood pressure is good despite my being very over weight...something I am working on because of knee pain. I would note the thing that seemed to relieve it some was lying on my left side. It would help the stomach, the breathing and the heart. How long will it take for this to improve if it is stomach related?
Answered by Dr. Ilir Sharka 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
My opinion as follows:

Detailed Answer:
Hello again!

Thank you for the additional information.

Yes, it seems that your symptoms are relate do your stomach, probably indigestion ori reflux.

In such case, your situation will improve in a couple of days.

I would just recommend avoiding spicy food, eat more frequently and in small portions. An antiacid or PPI (omprazole) would help improve your situation.

Hope you will find this answer helpful!

Wishing good health,

Dr. Iliri
Dr. Ilir Sharka

Cardiologist