Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
149 Doctors are Online

Suggest treatment for increasing cholesterol levels

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 1998
Answered : 1306 Questions
This is regarding the cholestrol level of my mother. She also has an increasing level of cholestrol, inspite of the kind of control she has on her food. She does a lot of garden and cleaning activities. She has reduced intake of fried items ( almost nil). She survives on rice, oats, wheat, vegetables. But her cholestrol level is still high. Is there something that you can suggest to help her ?
Posted Sun, 31 Aug 2014 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Sukhvinder Singh 6 hours later
Brief Answer:
Please See Below

Detailed Answer:
Dear Sir
As per current guidelines on cholesterol management, the best drugs in management of lipid disorders are statins. Role of other drugs are questionable. The four major indications for stating use are presence of diabetes, presence of heart attack/ stroke/ cardiovascular disease, 10 years risk for future heart attack> 7.5% and LDL cholesterol level of > 190 mg%. The statins have found to be beneficial in these patient groups.
Since the value of LDL is > 190mg% in case of your mother, she is a potential candidate for statin therapy. It is more so if she has diabetes or high blood pressure or any established cardiovascular disease. She must consult a physician who can evaluate and decide about statin therapy especially about any possible contraindications, risks and candidacy for medium or high dose statins.
Meanwhile, she must continue life style modifications including avoidance of fried food items/ sweets. She must daily walk under supervision and should take high fiber diet.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Suggest treatment for increasing cholesterol levels 1 hour later
Dear Doctor,
Can my mother then take Atrova 20 mg ? Or do you suggest anything else because of her age ? Can you please advise at the earliest. Thanks
Answered by Dr. Sukhvinder Singh 10 hours later
Brief Answer:
please see details

Detailed Answer:
Dear sir
Before statins are started in a patient we get the liver profile and cpk levels checked. We do a clinical examination to look for signs of liver disease.
I request you to visit a physician / internal medicine specialist. This is important as patients require follow-up for development of any statin related complication.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Cardiologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor