• question-icon

Suggest treatment for impulsive and dramatic behavior due to drug abuse

Posted on Mon, 24 Jul 2017 in Sleep Disorders
Question: 30 yr old daughter has had difficulty with sleeping and goes to the latest boyfriend to sleep. uses drugs and alcohol. will not talk about her issues but has n9t been able t0 keep a job. my husband and I have taken her ti 4 different counselers. she is very dramatic at times and misconstrues my rsponse to her questions. she is very defensive and does not tell the truth at times. I can not let it go.
Answered by Dr. Ashok Kumar 43 minutes later
Brief Answer:
I think there is cluster B personality disorder

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for using Health care magic.

I read your query and understand your concerns.

With available information I feel there is possibility of cluster B personality disorder which are often characterized by impulsive and dramatic behaviour. The presence of substance abuse in addition to frequent lying could indicate impulsive behaviour.

In my opinion it will be better if you can approach a multi disciplinary team comprising of psychiatrist and psychologist together as personality issues are difficult to tackle by single person like counsellor.

I hope this helps you.
Feel free to write back to me if you have more questions.
Thanks and regards.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana
Dr. Ashok Kumar

Psychiatrist