Suggest treatment for improper bowel movements

Dr. Saddiq Ulabidin

Posted on Mon, 19 Oct 2015 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: The last few years I'm been suffering from improper bowel movements, maybe once or twice an week. I also suffer from gas and a backed up stomach. I litterlly can feel my stomach really backed up now. No amount of fruit and veg, and lots of water solves this issue. This socially embarrassing and awkward to deal. These issues have put an stain on my life right now. All I want is normal functional digestion without these annoying gas issues and stomach. And if you ask how I got to this state, its through improper diet due to my work.
Answered by Dr. Saddiq Ulabidin 5 hours later
Brief Answer:
Improper bowel movements and possible solution

Detailed Answer:
Hi! Welcome to health care magic.

Based on your age and the history you have mentioned, it seems as if you are suffering from irritable bowel syndrome.

Since it has caused significant worry in your life, few measures will help with the symptoms.

Using diets with high fibre contents and adding fibre supplements like ispaghol husk two or three times daily will help.

Restricting lactulose and fructose containing diets, specially reducing milk and dairy products to minimal will show some benefits.

Medical treatment can vary from using antispasmodic like drotaverine or hyoscyamine for abdominal cramps and anti motility agents like loperamide for diarrhoea.

If symptoms persist, few atypical antipsychotics which have indirect effects on gut motility and serotonin receptor inhibitions will help.

Meanwhile you can visit a gastroentrologist to discuss all these options in detail.

Lastly, keeping an eye on other side effects caused by chronic diarrhea like water and electrolyte loss and essential vitamins and minerals deficiencies by checking blood levels and baseline labs.

Hoping you a speedy recovery. Regards.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Sonia Raina