Suggest treatment for impotency

Posted on Tue, 18 Nov 2014 in Erectile Dysfunction
Question: Due to cancer. My prostate Gland has been removed.which has caused impotence. So due to the fact that I have no prostate gland, Does Viagra or any of that kind of medicine still work.
Answered by Dr. Chintan Solanki 30 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Need to know yr testosterone & Nerve suppy status

Detailed Answer:

I can understand your concern. Prostate is not the only gland responsible for potency.Its work is related to semen production mainly. Potency is determined by sex centers in brain , nerve supply from spinal cord to penis and testes and serum testosterone level.If everything is ok except prostate, you can have erection and least or dry ejaculation and you can enjoy orgasm.

In many cases of prostatectomy nerve supply to penis damaged(pudendal nerve) and sometime reflexively testosterone production also reduced.These factors lead to impotence.

In your case to you need to check with your operating surgeon for nerve supply and go for serum testosterone level.After that, some conclusion can be made.Meanwhile if you do not have hypertension or heart problem and your blood pressure is within normal limit , you can try viagra to see the effects.

Revert back to me with above findings.After that if feasible I can suggest some remedy.

Dr.Chintan Solanki.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Shanthi.E
Dr. Chintan Solanki

Psychiatrist