Suggest treatment for hypothyroidism

Dr. Ajish TP

Endocrinologist

Posted on Thu, 5 Nov 2015 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems
Question: I got results as 8.77 Tsh which means I have hypothyroidism.

How do I get it to normal
Answered by Dr. Ajish TP 26 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Subclinical hypothyroidism

Detailed Answer:

Welcome to HCM. I have gone through the question and understand your concerns.

Slightly elevated TSH ( 5-10miu/ml) doesn't require treatment always. It is called subclinical hypothyroidism. The indications for treatment at your TSH are

1. Thyroid swelling
2. Increased anti TPO antibodies ( a blood test) in blood
3. Pregnant or planning pregnancy
4. High cholesterol

Please check with your doctor if you have any of these four indications.

If needed, treatment is by thyroid hormone ( thyronorm or Eltroxin). The starting dose is usually 25 mcg daily.

Diet rich in iodine ( iodised salt, sea food etc) may improve subclinical hypothyroidism.

Hope I have answered your questions. If you have any further queries I will be happy to help you

Dr Ajish TP [MD,DM]
Consultant Endocrinologist
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Ajish TP 1 hour later
Hello Doctor

Thanks for your reply. You had mentioned 4 points, out of which one is

Increased TPO antibodies.. Can u confirm what does that mean?

This will help to close discussion. Many thanks for your inputs
Answered by Dr. Ajish TP 22 minutes later
Brief Answer:
These are anti thyroid antibodies

Detailed Answer:

Welcome back.

This is anti thyroid antibody. If this antibody is present in blood, your thyroid function will decline with time and you will become hypothyroid.

If antibodies are there your risk of developing hypothyroidism ( TSH > 10) is very high. So we will start medication (thyroid hormone) even when TSH is slightly elevated as in your case.

Regard's
Dr Ajish TP