Suggest treatment for hypothyroidism

Dr. Ajish TP

Endocrinologist

Posted on Fri, 23 Oct 2015 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems
Question: Suffering from hypothyroidism (TSH read 9.34). Kindly suggest treatment
Answered by Dr. Ajish TP 55 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Please check free T4, Anti TPO antibody and lipid profle

Detailed Answer:

Welcome to HCM. I have gone through the question and understand your concerns.

Your TSH is slightly elevated. The TSH between 5 and 10 miu/ml is called subclinical hypothyroidism. It need not be treated always.

Conditions which require treatment at this TSH value are any one of the following:

1. Thyroid swelling (goiter)
2. Increased anti TPO antibody (a blood test)
3. Presence of high cholesterol
4. Low free T4 (a blood test )

If any one is abnormal, you have to start on thyroxine supplementation. The starting dose is usually Eltroxin 25 mcg once daily. Consult a specialist before starting medications.

Hope I have answered the questions. If you have any further questions, I will be available to answer it.

Dr Ajish TP
Consultant Endocrinologist

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad