Suggest treatment for hypothyroidism

Dr. Raju A.T

Posted on Fri, 8 Aug 2014 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems
Question: I am 42 yrs of age (female) with hypothyroid issue for quite some time. I was advised to take Eltroxin 75 mg once a day which I have been doing. The last time I took a thyroid test was in 2012 and the results were normal. I have just done a Thyroid test at Thyrocare. The results are as under:
T3= 66 ng/dl (normal range is 60-200)
T4= 6.3 ug/dl (normal range is 4.5-12)
TSH= 6.62 uIU/ml (normal range is 0.30-5.5)
Do I need to adjust the dosage?
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 5 hours later
Brief Answer:
Continue the same dose

Detailed Answer:

I have gone through the reading you provided.

Continue the dosage you are on for another 6 months and get the Thyroid hormones levels retested then. If any change then you can consider for dose modification. For now the dose is right.

Hope, I answered your query.

Wish you good health.

regards,
Follow up: Dr. Raju A.T 2 hours later
Will the high level of TSH be a problem in any way, in that will it cause any other issues on a day to day basis. How often should I do the thyroid test in a year ?
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 20 hours later
Brief Answer:
Need not worry

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for writing back.

No the high levels of TSh is an indirect indicator of the T3 and T4 functions. If the T3 and T4 are within range then TSh should not be considered as it is variable and can come to normal within a day or two.

Every 3 months once getting the TSh when you are on 75mcg is advised. If you are on a lower dose say 25mcg or 50mcg then getting the test every 6 months is fine. This is to regulate the dose based on the readings.

Hope, I answered your query.

Wish you good health.

regards,
Follow up: Dr. Raju A.T 5 hours later
Thanks for the reply. Just wanted to be sure I have understood it right.

I am on Eltroxin 75 mg for the last two years. Is it then fine to not worry about the high TSH level?

Regarding the Thyroid test I will ensure that I have it checked every three months.
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 12 hours later
Brief Answer:
Need not worry

Detailed Answer:

Yes, get the Tsh retested after 3 months from now.