Suggest treatment for hypothyroidism while on Thyronorm

Dr. Minal Mohit

Endocrinologist

Posted on Fri, 3 Mar 2017 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems
Question: My wife has hypothyroidism and taking Thyronorm 50 mg daily. last we have tested again and value of TSH is found 9.6, need to know

1. is there any change in prescription is require
2. she has sometime, pain/feel chocking in throat, what is your advise

Thanks
Answered by Dr. Minal Mohit 23 hours later
Brief Answer:
Need to increase the dose.

Detailed Answer:
Dear XXXXXXX
hi and welcome to HealthcareMagic. Sorry for a delayed response.
Your wife is having primary hypothyroidism and is presently being under dosed. she needs to increase the dose to 75 mcg for now , and retest after 6 weeks and get back to us.
pain and choking are other symptoms which are associated because of under correction. she may add some supplements with thyroxine , calcium and vitamin D.
thyroxine 75 mcg has to be taken empty stomach, early morning , another 30 minutes do not consume anything over the tablet.
calcium 500 mg twice a day after meals.
vitamin D 60,000 IU once a week at night after food.
6 weeks later , retest TSH and FT4, please do let us know.
regards!

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana
Follow up: Dr. Minal Mohit 1 hour later
Thanks Doctor. Just few quesries
1. is it ok to use Thyronorm or need another Brand for 75 MG
2. Pls advise Tab/Brand for supplement like, Calcium 500 and VITD XXXXXXX
3. Pls advise do's and don't like exercise, food or any other thing good to prevent this?
I am just giving complete test result to advise better
FT3 - 2.69
FT4 - 1.07
TSH - 9.23

Answered by Dr. Minal Mohit 34 minutes later
Brief Answer:
brands are immaterial as long as they are standard companies

Detailed Answer:
Dear XXXXXXX
1. thyronorm , thyrox, uthyrox all are good brands and any one can be used.
2. for calcium, Calcimax forte, shelcal , becotrol, adtrol plus
3. vit D - vitanova, lumia, d3 must
diet to avoid weight gain, healthy life style is recommended for all, regular exercise 45 minutes a day, and avoid high cal food.
regards!