Suggest treatment for hypothyroidism post a gall bladder surgery

Dr. Ramesh Kumar

Gastroenterologist

Posted on Fri, 7 Apr 2017 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: I need to get my BMI down for Gall Bladder surgery (removal). Please tell me what eat (i know i should avoid fat). The weight is not coming off easily. I have an underactive Thyroid.
Any tips ? Would plenty of walking help?
Answered by Dr. Ramesh Kumar 54 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Detailed answer below.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for choosing this forum,

When it comes to diet, the choices for a weight loss program rotate around the high fibre sources of energy while eliminating any possible source of empty calories like alcohol and carbonated beverages. Also, the other high calorie foods like sweets, white rice, sugars, ice cream, refined foods etc. should be cut down in terms of intake.

Dairy is important, but is would be wise to opt for low fat dairy products and avoid adding any sugar to these items.

Fats and fried foods have a lot of flavour but at the same a time these provide quite high percentages of calorie post digestion, in addition to the unwanted fats and sometimes direct cholesterol. Choose from refined vegetables oils like rice XXXXXXX olive, corn etc. while eliminating the saturated fats like coconut oil, pure ghee and butter etc.

Fruits and vegetables are low in calories but are packed with vitamins, minerals and fibre. These are good options for a quick bite as a snack. Not only refreshing, but they also help in improved digestion and keep you full. Nuts and dry fruits may also be taken in moderation, keeping in mind that when fried nuts and dry fruits provide too many calories, and are also difficult to digest. Whole pulses and cereal grains are packed with quality fibre, and maintain satiety for longer hours.

Go for pears, apple cider vinegar, yogurt, unsalted popcorn, green tea, black coffee (sugarless) and black beans.
-Take low calorie, high protein, high fiber, low fat diet.
-Eat more of whole foods and natural products that have not been processed.
-If you want to snack, make sure it is healthy, low fat, low calorie snack.
-Avoid outside foods and even ice-cream strictly.
-Exercise regularly: Moderate intense physical activity like walking, swimming for 30-60 minutes daily is very essential to lose weight.
-Change your habits: Take stairs instead of the lift, walk to the super market, or park your car far away from the shopping place.
-Avoid alcohol consumption
-Avoid smoking
-Avoid excess intake of salt which causes water retention.
-Use non stick pots and pans for cooking. This helps reduce your oil intake.
-Never go shopping on an empty stomach.
-De-automate your house work. Do household work by yourself like washing vessels, mopping the floor, cleaning the house.
-Drink 8-10 glasses of water daily
-When you feel hungry, stop and have a cup of water. Wait for 5 minutes and assess whether you are really hungry.
-Limit caffeine intake to 1-2 cups per day.
-Don’t skip meals, you will end up in overeating later.
-Avoid crash diets. The main disadvantage of crash dieting is that you will gain back the lost weight once you stop it.
-Start your day with a healthy breakfast. Take the major portion of your daily calories early in the day which allows the food to be used to produce energy and few calories are left over to change to fat. Having healthy breakfast makes you feel less hungry throughout the day.
-Have your dinner 2-3 hours before going to bed.
-Keep a food daily and record whatever you eat. Plan meals a week advance and stick to it.
-Replace coffee or tea with black tea or lemon tea.
-Try sit ups and abdominal crunches to tone up the abdominal muscles.You can also join some local gym nearby to your house.exercises like crunches, twist crunches, bicycle crunch, step hop, squats etc. are excellent to burn abdominal fat and tone the muscles. Set a specific time for exercise and start with simple workouts for short duration, you can slowly increase the time, frequency and intensity of the workout. This would allow the body to keep pace with the changes. Make sure that you manage enough time for warm up before and cooling down after each workout. Avoid lying down or sitting immediately after the meals. You may take light walk after lunch and dinner.
Indulge in exercise which increases your heart rate above 150/min alteast. Join a gym and do more of weight training rather than cardio. It should be alternate day weight training and cardio.
Do not only focus on cardio for loosing weight as it has limited effect. So do more of weight training than cardio. Appoint a personal trainer for more better effect.
-Goal for a healthy weight loss of 1-2 lbs per week. As a Beginners you can aim for up to 2 lbs of weight loss in initial weeks but after 6-8 weeks, make a goal to lose at least 1 lb of weight every week. Do NOT try to lose more weight by severe caloric restriction as this weakens the immune system. A Healthy weight loss plan is supposed to boost your Immune system and not suppress it.
One more other important thing is be patient. These effects take longer to come and do not expect sudden results.
Control levels of thyroid by taking external thyroxine.
I hope I have answered your query well.
If you have any questions kindly ask me back.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad