Suggest treatment for hypothyroidism in an elderly person

Dr. Elona Xhardo

Endocrinologist

Posted on Fri, 3 Mar 2017 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems
Question: I am looking for an MD who can test for Hadhimoto's disease. I have hypothyroidism, am 61 yrs. old and am experiencing almost all of the symptoms of Hashimoto's. I might add that I am experiencing all-over pain esp. at the base of my throat.
Answered by Dr. Elona Xhardo 33 minutes later
Brief Answer:
It is necessary to do the thyroid tests for the right diagnose.

Detailed Answer:
Hello and thanks for asking.
I have gone through your question and understood your concern.

Hashimoto's disease or Hashimoto's thyroiditis is an autoimmune disease, a disorder in which the immune system turns against the body's own tissues.
In people with Hashimoto's, the immune system attacks the thyroid. This can lead to hypothyroidism, a condition in which the thyroid does not make enough hormones for the body's needs.

Hashimoto's symptoms may be mild at first or take years to develop.
The first sign of the disease is often an enlarged thyroid, called a goiter.
Other symptoms of an underactive thyroid due to Hashimoto's may include:
-weight gain
-fatigue
-joint and muscle pain
-constipation
-inability to get warm
-hair loss or thinning, brittle hair
-irregular or heavy menstrual periods
-depression
-slowed heart rate

To diagnose Hashimoto's thyroiditis it is important to assess symptoms commonly seen in hypothyroidism, the enlargement of the thyroid gland, the history of family members.
Specific blood tests determine the level of thyroid function are important for the diagnose(low thyroid hormons and high TSH,antibody screenin Anti TPO antibodies.

It is necessaty to do these test for the diagnose of Hashimoto diseases(Let me know your results and i will be happy to help.

For a personalized comprehensive evaluation, treatment recommendations, and individual therapy,you can ask me at HealthCareMagic at my private link: bit.do/hcm-Dr-Xhardo.

Thanks for usinh HCM.
Wish you good health.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad