Suggest treatment for hypothyroid and PCOD

Dr. Bhagyalaxmi Nalaparaju

Posted on Tue, 12 Aug 2014 in Women's Health
Question: Is there any possibility of getting rid of Hypo Thyroid & PCOD.

I have doing regular work out and dieting but nothing is helping in reducing weight.

Can you help me on it.
Answered by Dr. Bhagyalaxmi Nalaparaju 54 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Advised Metformin.

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXXXXX

There is no other possibility to get rid of hypothyroidism other than taking medication. You have to continue with Thyrox 50 mg.

Since you have Polycystic ovarian disease and you are over weight you can switch over to Metformin(Glucophage) along with Yamini(drospirenone + ethinylestradiol). It helps you to reduce your weight by reducing cholesterol levels and it regulates your periods but it also decreases blood sugar levels, so you need to check your blood sugar levels periodically.

You can start with 500 mg tablet. The frequency, duration of course depends upon your symptoms, weight and your body response to medication. Your treating doctor will know about this, better to visit your doctor to start this medication.

Additionally you can follow these suggestions about diet:
Take Iodized salt.
Add sea food especially salt fish, dairy products, egg white to your diet(If you are a non-vegetarian).
You can take raw garlic.
Eat vegetables and fruits but avoid cabbage, cauliflower.
Drink plenty of water.

Do physical exercises regularly

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any queries I will be happy to help you.

Thank you.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Ashwin Bhandari