Get your health question answered instantly from our pool of 18000+ doctors from over 80 specialties

190 Doctors Online
Doctor Image
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

I will be looking into your question and guiding you through the process. Please write your question below.

Suggest treatment for hypothyroid and PCOD

Answered by
Dr. Bhagyalaxmi Nalaparaju

General & Family Physician

Practicing since :2007

Answered : 492 Questions

Posted on Tue, 12 Aug 2014 in Women's Health
Question: Is there any possibility of getting rid of Hypo Thyroid & PCOD.

I have doing regular work out and dieting but nothing is helping in reducing weight.

Can you help me on it.
Answered by Dr. Bhagyalaxmi Nalaparaju 54 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Advised Metformin.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for writing to us.

There is no other possibility to get rid of hypothyroidism other than taking medication. You have to continue with Thyrox 50 mg.

Since you have Polycystic ovarian disease and you are over weight you can switch over to Metformin(Glucophage) along with Yamini(drospirenone + ethinylestradiol). It helps you to reduce your weight by reducing cholesterol levels and it regulates your periods but it also decreases blood sugar levels, so you need to check your blood sugar levels periodically.

You can start with 500 mg tablet. The frequency, duration of course depends upon your symptoms, weight and your body response to medication. Your treating doctor will know about this, better to visit your doctor to start this medication.

Additionally you can follow these suggestions about diet:
Take Iodized salt.
Add sea food especially salt fish, dairy products, egg white to your diet(If you are a non-vegetarian).
You can take raw garlic.
Eat vegetables and fruits but avoid cabbage, cauliflower.
Drink plenty of water.

Do physical exercises regularly

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any queries I will be happy to help you.

Thank you.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Ashwin Bhandari

The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions ,  
Drug/Medication ,  
Medical Topics ,  

Recent questions on  Ethinylestradiol

doctor1 MD

Hello, I picked up my birth control today and, usually it s Portia 28 but, I received something called Marlissa Levongestrel and Ethinyl Estradiol. What happened... Did Marlissa buy out Portia 28, is it okay for me to randomly change brands, should I take this, return it, etc?? Thank you, Elaine

doctor1 MD

Hi, I am currently taking Levonorgestrel and Ethinyl Estradiol Tablets for birth control and I was wondering if I could be on diet pills at the same time without having the pill be less effective. If this is possible to have the same effectiveness with my birth control then what diet pill should I take? I am 22 an would like to loose twenty or so pounds.

doctor1 MD

hi doctor. i used Nordette as emergercy contraceptive Levonorgestrel 0.15 mg + ethinyl estradiol 30 ug... i drunk 4pcs within 120 hrs of unprotected sex, and drunk again 4pcs after 12hrs of 1st dosage. what are the signs (without using a pregnancy test kit) that the drug was effective? thank you

doctor1 MD

Hi can i take alcohol scotch while on krimson 35 aldactone 25 mg

doctor1 MD

Hi , I have mild PCOS and my Doctor has suusgested me to take BigometSr-500 daily twice and Crisanta tables for 21 days for about 3 months. I have taken the tablets as prescribed and now from last 5 days I observe pain in stomach on the left side...

doctor1 MD

I was taking my first set of birth control pills (minidoz), started taking the first pill on the 6th of my period and continued to take it to the 8th pill. However that night I had intercourse with my boyfriend and as I started taking the pill...

doctor1 MD

I have been on Levora 28 tablets for 20 yrs. I recently switched to Chateal because of my insurance situation. Both are Levonorestrel & Ethinyl Estradiol Tablets. Do I need extra protection during the first week or month of switching? Do I need to worry about pregnancy during this time?