Owl Image

Suggest treatment for hypospadias

Owl Image
Dr. Arun

Pediatrician, Pulmonology

Question
My grandson was born with a syndrome that affected his heart, intestines and penis (hypospadia). He has no growth of the penis since birth' He is 10 years old. Can this be corrected and what is this called?
Mon, 11 Aug 2014 in Child Health

Answered by Dr. Arun 12 minutes later
Brief Answer:
hypospadias has to be surgically corrected

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Thanks for writing to health care magic. Can you please share any information you already have about what kind of Heart defects and intestinal defects he is suffering from? Did the physician you took him to identify the syndrome for you?

To address these issues separately:
Hypospadias needs and will definitely improve with surgical correction. You will see the difference only after surgery. There is no other way of correcting it with medicines.

There are a number of syndromes affecting the heart and intestines along with hypospadias. Only a complete heart check and abdominal exam will evaluate and identify the syndrome. If you have that information, send it across to me and we can discuss in further detail.
Wishing him.speedy recovery

Dr Arun

Follow-up: Suggest treatment for hypospadias 2 hours later
All of his health issues were corrected at birth. The only problem he is dealing with at this time is no growth of the penis. Hypospadia was corrected at birth. He only had one side of his heart working at birth, that was corrected. His intestines were twisted and also corrected at birth. I have been reading a little about things like micropenis. Can something like this be corrected and should he see a urologist to determine his exact problem ?

Answered by Dr. Arun 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Yes you can

Detailed Answer:
If all the issues have been corrected at birth, then you need to see a urologist or endocrinologist to evaluate for micropenis.
In many kids the penis is buried partly in the fat above pubic bone making it falsely short.
A clinical examination should settle the doubt.