Suggest treatment for hyperthyroidism

Posted on Tue, 22 Apr 2014 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems
Question: My son is being treated for hyperthyroid. The doctor is trying to bring his levels down quickly and has increased his methimizole to 60, atenolol 100(because metoprolol was kicking his butt) and has introduced SSKI 5 drops morning and night. It's been a week and I don't see a change. He's lost a lot of weight and there's been a lot of muscle waiting. I'm not sure what to do. We had an ultrasound and apparently nothing is wrong as the doc hadn't called. I'm worried about my son. Any thoughts?
Answered by Dr. T Shobha Deepak 1 hour later
Brief Answer: It will take couple of weeks for drug to act Detailed Answer: Hi Welcome to Healthcare-Magic Greetings of the day Dear Ms I understand your concern and apprehension. Let me reassure you there is no cause for concern. Anti thyroid drugs act by inhibiting synthesis of fresh thyroid hormone. The already present hormone may still act and may have persisting symptoms which may last upto 2 weeks. Your son is on three medication 1. Methimizole: it acts by preventing further hormone synthesis 2. Atenolol: It's a Selective B blocker and acts by controlling the heart rate. 3. SSKI: Potassium iodide acts by preventing release of thyroid hormone. As SSKI has been added there should be beneficial effect soon. Control of symptoms takes time, initial aim is to control heart rate. Weight gain will slowly occur. In the absence of Congestive cardiac failure there is no urgency to quickly reduce levels of hormone. I would reassure you that he will do fine soon. In case you require any further assistance, will be glad to assist you. Take care Best Regards Dr T Shobha Deepak MBBS, MD
Dr. T Shobha Deepak