Suggest treatment for hyperthyroidism

Posted on Thu, 4 Dec 2014 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems
Question: I was just diagnosed with hyperthyroidism....... my T4 is normal and my TSH is low. How will this be treated?
Answered by Dr. Binu Parameswaran Pillai 37 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Subclinical Hyperthyroidism.

Detailed Answer:
Good day,
Noted your concern.
Your thyroid blood reports are suggestive of subclincal hyperthyroidism ( low TSH and normal T4) . We need to know the reason for the same ( eg: Grave's disease, Thyroiditis, Multi nodular goiter) . This is important to decide the treatment. This is important before starting treatment.

You need a good neck examination and also a nuclear scan ( Technetium uptake scan).

You may also need to check Free T3 ( Ft4).

Do you have thyroid swelling ?

Binu
Follow up: Dr. Binu Parameswaran Pillai 24 minutes later
My T3 was taken in 2013 and was slightly elevated - 3.72. At that time I had a neck exam and a procedure was done ....... aspiration of ? from the neck, which was fine. I do not have thy. swelling.
Answered by Dr. Binu Parameswaran Pillai 38 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Nuclear scan

Detailed Answer:
Okay,

Noted the history of needle aspiration from thyroid. So it could be a thyroid nodule.
The next step to go would be a nuclear scan ( Technetium uptake scan). That will guide us the next direction.

Dr. Binu Parameswaran Pillai

Endocrinologist