Suggest treatment for hypertension

Dr. Rajesh Teli

Cardiologist

Posted on Mon, 2 Nov 2015 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: I am a 19 year old female weighing 185 pounds. the last couple days I've been feeling odd and my mother in llaw told me to check my blood pressure and my pulse. my pressure was 154/96 and my pulse was reading 122.

how how high is too high blood pressure.?
how high can I allow my blood pressure to get before I should go to the hospital.
Answered by Dr. Rajesh Teli 36 minutes later
Brief Answer:
your Blood pressure should remain below 140/90

Detailed Answer:
Hello Mrs XXXXXXX
I am Dr.Rajesh Teli,MD.I have gone through your query.Thanks for using HCM.
Actually your BP of 154/96 is high and also your Heart rate.At your age most important cause may be anxiety and over weight.You should try to measure your blood pressure frequently at different time especially when you are relaxed.If your reading persistently remain high then you should undergo investigations for evaluation for hypertension at young age.Meanwhile i suggest you to restrict salt in diet,Avoid stress,spend time with your hobby(and ofcourse hubby!) and focus on weight reduction.
Your target should be to reduce BP below 140/90.Yoga and meditation too will help you.
At this level of BP(i.e 154/96) we usually recommend life style modification and regular check up.Usually at this level we don't start medication.
Do let me know your readings.I would be quite happy to guide you
My best wishes
Dr.Rajesh Teli,MD.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Neel Kudchadkar