Suggest treatment for hypercalcemia

Dr. Dadapeer K

Ophthalmologist

Posted on Thu, 14 Aug 2014 in General Health
Question: Sorry. Mistakenly erased my question. As part of my 6 month exam for a melanoma recovery, my kidneys are always included in the ultrasound. My family doctor pinpoints my kidneys. Says they are small and release too much calcium in my blood. My dr at the Cole Eye Institute says at this point, I saw him in XXXXXXX sees no further recurrence. Overall, my health is good and I have no symptoms of anything. Time to change family doctors?
Answered by Dr. Dadapeer K 5 hours later
Brief Answer:
Hypercalcemia needs evaluation.

Detailed Answer:
Hello
Welcome to Health care magic.

I reviewed your history. It seems you had taken treatment for malignant melanoma of eye and you are on follow up examination.

Increased level of calcium in blood is called as hypercalcemia.
It can occur because of various causes like endocrine causes like thyroid and parathyroid glands related problems.
Malignant tumors also known to cause this hypercalcemia but malignant melanoma is relatively rare cause.
But still I feel hypercalcemia should not be neglected and it should be properly evaluated after confirming it by blood investigations.

Hence in this case I will not ignore the finding of your family doctor but I advice you to go for evaluation to find out the underlying cause for this increased calcium levels and treatment accordingly.

Hope the information is helpful to you.

Thank you
With regards