Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
198 Doctors are Online

Suggest treatment for hyperacidity during pregnancy

User rating for this question
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 1986
Answered : 290 Questions
I think I may have (undiagnosed as yet) crohn's. After a five year break, the symptoms have returned and are now also in my actual stomach as well as my bowel....I am also there any chance of my doctor agreing to a gastroscopy to look at my stomach, they wont consider a colonoscopy at this stage but my stomach is worrying me more at present
Posted Mon, 17 Feb 2014 in Crohn's Disease
Answered by Dr. Haseena Hamdani 1 hour later
Brief Answer: If possible defer until you deliver Detailed Answer: Hi, Welcome to XXXXXXX You seem to be well aware of Crohn's disease, and Diagnostic investigation for Crohn's disease. I would like to know, what exact problems you are having at present? How many weeks pregnant are you , and what is your expected day of delivery. I hope that your doctor has done USG to rule out any Gall bladder Disease, Full blood count, ESR, CRP , and stool test to rule out blood , mucus and pus cells, before pregnancy and again now. Colonoscopy can be done during pregnancy in any trimester if it is clearly indicated, and risk outweighs the benefit. Crohn's disease for upper GIT, is diagnosed by capsular Video endoscopy, which is better to be avoided during pregnancy. If Gastroscopy is indicated to diagnose any lesion in stomach, it can be done in pregnant women with ultrathin or paediatric gastroscope without sedation or using safer sedatives. In short, if there is an emergency situation, we have to take decisions logically, to give you relief, avoiding complications and not affecting pregnancy. Hope you got the answer. Dr H Hamdani
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Suggest treatment for hyperacidity during pregnancy 1 hour later
thank you. I feel that my stomach issues are pretty bad right now....perhaps I might be able to persuade my doctor to help.....I often get 'maroon' stools, mostly have diarrhoea, feel ill and now my stomach hurts and is more acutely painful than anything else.....would a doctor ever consider giving some kind of anti inflammatory to see if it helped? I'm panicking at the thought of being left for 9 months in this pain!
Answered by Dr. Haseena Hamdani 2 hours later
Brief Answer: Pregnancy aggravates Acidity. Detailed Answer: Hi, Welcome Back to XXXXXXX Actually pregnancy itself increases hyperacidity. Your Doctor needs to manage you very tactfully. As such Anti inflammatory medicines can increase your acidity, so you need constant Antacid gel, and proton pump Inhibitors. If it doesn't help, you may be given Injectable H2 receptor blokers, and IV drips. If it is confirmed Crohn's disease, prednisolone would be really helpful, and it is relatively safer during pregnancy as compared to other medicines. You should also take high doses of Folic Acid and Vit D tablets. You may need to be given Parenteral Antibiotics. Maroon colored stools show that you are passing blood in stool, which could be due to Crohn's disease or Ulcerative colitis. So in short, i would say that Your Doctor should give you trial for these medicines, and educate yo about the tips to avoid acidity by proper diet advice, keep you under constant supervision. If it does not improve your symptoms, affect your appetite, reducing weight, etc, then you should be undergone for colonoscopy or MRI, USG for proper diagnosis, and do management accordingly. In few cases, Crohn's disease and ulcerative colitis gets better during pregnancy, so let go first trimester and hopefully you will see dramatic relief. Wish you good health. Dr H Hamdani
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Medical Procedures

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Gastroenterologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor