• question-icon

Suggest treatment for hyper pigmentation on the feet

Posted on Tue, 18 Jul 2017 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: I put a small piece of dry ice on my face yesterday on a small area that has hyperpigmentation. I am black with medium brown skin. The spot grew a small bump and got a little darker, then I took a small needle and poked it and squeezed out a tiny bit of fluid. Then I peeled off a tiny bit of skin from the sight using my fingers and a small needle and now I have a pale pink spot on my face, a half a day later. Am I going to be ok? Will the color come back? I also put the small dry ice on my keloid scar on my chest. Now its dark in color, smooth, and a small area slightly above and beyond the border of the keloid is puffy and looks like its a blister. It stopped hurting since yesterday, but I am worried about what I have done to myself. Will I be okay?
Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 32 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Cold induced injury. Apply a topical antibiotic cream

Detailed Answer:
Hello. Thank you for writing to us

I am dr. kakkar (dermatologist).
I have gone through your query and I have noted your concern.
The blister is the result of cold injury to the tissue due to application of dry ice for an extended period of time.
The pale skin on face that you exposed after forcibly peeling off the blister roof is superficial dermis which was earlier covered wit epidermis. The fluffy area near keloid is also due to blister formation as a result of cold injury. It would also eventually peel off. Avoid peeling it off forcibly.
The epidermis would eventually regenerate in about a week at both sites. Till that time i suggest you to apply a topical antibiotic cream e.g 2% mupirocin cream or 2% fusidic acid cream, twice daily, for a week on both the affected sites.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Dr. Kakkar S.

Dermatologist