Get your health question answered instantly from our pool of 18000+ doctors from over 80 specialties

181 Doctors Online
Doctor Image
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

I will be looking into your question and guiding you through the process. Please write your question below.

Suggest treatment for hives on the body

Answered by
Dr. Muhammad Sareer Khalil

General & Family Physician

Practicing since :2012

Answered : 2920 Questions

Posted on Mon, 16 Apr 2018 in General Health
Question: I have had a rash/hives for a week now. I initially had an acne break out under my arms (not sure if related) then I had a rash, red bumps that are dry and itichy. I seemed to get better with calomine lotions but not ezyme lotions. Rash is on my back and chest now (not as bad) and my armpits and most of my biceps. I have sensitive skin and allergies but I'm not sure what to do.
Answered by Dr. Muhammad Sareer Khalil 29 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Rash/ Hives

Detailed Answer:
Hello and Welcome

I appreciate your concern

If its an active , progressing flare then oral antihistamines like hydroxyzine would be required. In severe cases corticosteroids should also be added. The antihistamines can be continued for 10 more days. Skin patch test and allergen testing can be advised to identify the specific allergen in your case in consultation with an immunologist/ allergy specialist. Then it can be avoided subsequently.

Wishing you best of health


Let me know if you have any query

Please consult your doctor before deciding on any further course of action.

For future follow up / correspondence you may ask me directly at the link given below

Dr. M.S. Khalil
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar
Follow up: Dr. Muhammad Sareer Khalil 2 hours later
It is very frustrating to go to the store to the store to buy these items and find out they are both prescription only.
Answered by Dr. Muhammad Sareer Khalil 5 minutes later
Brief Answer:

Detailed Answer:
Hello again

I am sorry for your distress

Antihistamines like benedryl or avil are likely to be available over the counter. The corticosteroids are unlikely to be available OTC.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar

The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Drug/Medication ,   ,  
Lab Tests

Recent questions on  Patch test

doctor1 MD

My query is to a dermatologist. My Name is Mrs. Nair, age- 38 years, female. My problem is listed below:

In 2006 April I started having hyper pigmentation on my face, neck and upper back. I consulted a specialist at Manipal Hospital, Bangalore and underwent blood test. As per the blood test my IGE (immunoglobin E) was 460, high above normal. Therefore, I underwent a patch test and the result of the patch test said I was allergic to PPD and some parabens. So my problem was diagnosed as hyper pigmentation due to contact dermatitis. I had used hair colour since February 2006 and as per this result I completely stopped using the same. I underwent chemical peeling, micro dermabrasion and laser treatment subsequently. My facial skin improved a bit, but not much. I had to shift to Egypt on official assignment and here again I consulted two dermatologists. They suggested a skin biopsy for Macular Amyloidosis and a biopsy was done. As per the biopsy report "bundles of collegen found in the dermis and slightly reactive to congo red staining. diagnosis: Amyloidosis."I do not have any itching on the skin except sometimes which i take as due to dryness. Can you please confirm what is my condition? Is there any treatment for this? I would really be grateful for your reply as I cannot consult a doctor from India face to face now as I am still in Egypt.

doctor1 MD

I have been having skin rashes that have gotten worse over the year. I have been to a dermatologist and thought it was contact rash. I am thinking it is what I am eating. I just went to a holistic dr. and she said I tested positive for
allergic reactions to gluten, dairy and artificial sweetners. I also have inflammation from osteo arithis. I would like to
have a list of foods that at anti-inflammatory to see if this skin rashes are being caused from what I am eating.

doctor1 MD

Hello, My 27 YO Dtr has had Skin issues: periorbital dry,red sore skin . with scant bldg. if rubbed. Sml white bumps on her face esp. cheeks and forehead. Random hives upper body, chest neck and arms. GI upsets - indigestion . Increase in her...

doctor1 MD

My 86 year old father is suffering from dark red legs with clear drainage . Lately his knees and ankles have swollen, and for an active walker to be reduced to very short walks and discomfort is hard to watch. He is having an allergy patch test...

doctor1 MD

My name is Leah, and I had a patch test done last week. I have discovered that I am highly allergic to nickel and potassium dichromate (both were a 3+), cobalt dichloride, quaternium-15, formaldehyde, diazolidinyl urea, and imidazolidinyl urea (all were 1+). My skin is awful and has been for over 2 years now. Do you have any advice on how to cope and live with these allergies?

doctor1 MD

for the past few months my 2 year old has complained of itching on her arms and legs and around her back. there is no rash just lots of scratch marks where she has drawn blood. when she starts scratching an area hives might appear for a short time but then they go away. is this an allergy? she has had eczema in the past but this looks nothing like excema. there is no redness, blistering, raised area - nothing to associate with eczema.