Suggest treatment for hives on the arms and back

Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh

Posted on Wed, 5 Apr 2017 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: In January I had an allergic reaction to something, broke in out n in hives on my arms, back and red blotches on my stomach. Took benadryl tablets and the hives and blotches went away but t the itching remains. What can I take to get rid of the itching or do I need to see a doctor, I lost mu job and i don't have medical insurance, thanks

Answered by Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Information

Detailed Answer:

If you are not having worsening symptoms - difficulty breathing, wheezing,swelling of lips, mouth, tongue, feeling light headed or nausea, you can try to control it at home.

It is possible for the antihistamine to block the wheals (hives) without fully taking away the itching. You may need to take more antihistamine to control the itching. You can take cetirizine (Zyrtec is the brand name) 10 mg twice a day, which is double the dose. The hydrocortisone cream won't do anything really as the reaction is coming from the inside out, but if the itching continues unabated, a short course of oral corticosteroids (which would require being seen by a doctor and a prescription) may work. Try an increased dose of the antihistamine first first.

If that doesn't help, it is time to see either an allergist or a dermatologist. An allergist can test you for ongoing allergic reactions. And either will test your thyroid levels, and autoimmune blood tests. All of these things can cause persistent itching. They will likely add other medications such as montelukast (Singulair). If there is an underlying problem (such as a problem with the thyroid), they will treat that.

Use lotions and soaps that are fragrance free.

Please let me know if I can provide further information.