Suggest treatment for hives on back, neck and legs

Posted on Thu, 18 Jun 2015 in Child Health
Question: My 9 year old daughter has been breaking out in hives on her back, neck and legs almost everyday for the past two weeks. I am growing very concerned. I usually give her one benadryl tablet and it makes it stop itching but the hives don't normally go away until the next day as she normally gets them late in the afternoon or early night.
Answered by Dr. Diptanshu Das 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
The child needs further evaluation and management

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for asking on Health Care Magic.

I have gone through the problem and understand your concerns. Let me assure you that it is not a very concerning situation and can be managed. Please do not worry. It is most likely due to an allergic reaction. Giving her Montair LC (monteleukast+levocetirizine) should be better in such a condition. But it is a prescription medicine and you would need to get it prescribed by your doctor.

A careful medical evaluation is also required and I suggest that you take her to a doctor for the same. Your doctor may be able help deterimine the causative allergens.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Dr. Diptanshu Das

Pediatrician