Suggest treatment for hissing noise in ear and neck pain

ENT Specialist
Question
Hello.I recently had an operation for detached retina.During my posturing ,which lasted 10 days,I had to lie on with the left side of my head on the pillow.After a few days I developed a throbbing sound in my hear which lasted for a week.Then one morning the sound developed into a loud hissing noise which has lasted for the past 3 weeks.I went to see the doctor who examined the ear..there was no wax build up or infection.The hissing is extremely loud inside and outside my home.The doctor prescribed beta histamine tablets for blood flow in inner ear.I also have neck pain when I move my head to each side .I have never had ear problems before and I wondered if the posturing after my operation brought this problem on.The sound is high pitched and continuous.I have no upper head pain.I have only been taking the pills for a few days.I am trying ginkgo Bilbao too.If I massage the top of my head or the back of my hear the noise gets less but soon comes back.
Posted Sat, 23 Aug 2014 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems

Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Audiological investigations required...

Detailed Answer:
Hi

Thanks for posting the query. I have gone through the history thoroughly and understood you problem. I'll try my best to help you out with this problem.

Tinnitus(Noise or ringing in ears) could be due to either Eustachian tube block or damage to the inner ear nerves. Postural variation can cause blockage of the Eustachian tube (the tube connecting nose and the ear). This causes pressure variation in the middle ear and thus tinnitus.

Secondly, damage to the sensitive inner ear nerves can also cause tinnitus.

Further evaluation is required to make a diagnosis. Audiological investigations such as pure tone audiometry and tympanometry would be ideal.

At present, you can continue with the medicines and once the report comes, depending upon that, further things can be planned.

Hope I have answered your query; I'll be available for the follow up queries.

Dr. Naveen Kumar N.
ENT and Head & Neck Surgeon

Follow-up: Suggest treatment for hissing noise in ear and neck pain 9 hours later
Hi
Thankyou for your prompt reply.
I will try and arrange an audio logical investigation.
I forgot to mention that my hearing is perfect in both ears and there is no pain at all.
Is it common for the Eustachian tube to stay blocked for over 4 weeks?
I have tried pinching my nose and blowing air through my ears and this works ok but sounds a little squeaky in my left ear where I am experiencing most discomfort.
The high pitched noise is loud and continuous and I find it difficult to get to sleep.
One night last week I woke up and my ear was very wet and sweaty and.I experience a lot of heartbeat sounds in my ears.
The beta histamine was prescribed to help with the blood flow through my inner ear and hopefully to quieter the hissing sound..this has not worked yet..does it take time to work and does this help with a blockage?
Sorry to ask all these questions but I am worried that prolonging my symptoms may damage my ear permanently
Also my nose is very runny..will this affect mucus in ear?
Thankyou

Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar 14 hours later
Brief Answer:
Please see the answer below

Detailed Answer:
Hi

Welcome back

1. Is it common for the Eustachian tube to stay blocked for over 4 weeks?
A: Yes, it can be blocked for any number of days.

2. A little squeaky in my left ear where I am experiencing most discomfort.
A: This is noticed when the blocked Eustachian tube tries to open up forcibly.

3. The high pitched noise is loud and continuous and I find it difficult to get to sleep.
A: It's because of the ear block you get the noise in the ears. Once the block is relieved you will feel better.

4. does it take time to work and does this help with a blockage?
A: Betahistine does not help in relieving the block, but it will reduce the tinnitus caused by nerve damage to a certain extent.

5. Also my nose is very runny..will this affect mucus in ear?
A: Yes, running nose could be the prime cause of all your problems. Once this is taken care of, your ear discomfort and the tinnitus will become normal.

My suggestions to you are:
1. Drink plenty of warm water
2. Do steam inhalation 3-4 times a day, for a couple of minutes
3. Use saline nasal spray
4. Take oral decongestant to reduce the nasal secretions and nasal congestion
5. A steroid nasal spray (fluticasone or momentasone) to reduce the congestion around the Eustachian tube

Hope this clears your doubts. I will be glad to answer your further queries.

Dr. Naveen Kumar N.
ENT and Head & Neck Surgeon