Suggest treatment for hip joint popping

Posted on Tue, 7 Jul 2015 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: I was bowling - and felt a "pop" in my right hip area. It is hard to put weight on my left foot now and painful when walking, although not painful just sitting. ( I am 68, in good health and fairly active ).
Answered by Dr. Kathy Robinson 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
tendon or meniscus

Detailed Answer:
Popping is usually from an tendon or the meniscus (cartilage lining of a joint). If you are having trouble weight bearing then you need to see a doctor for an exam and xrays. A fracture is possible but very unlikely from what you describe. If the xray is normal they may need to order an MRI to look at the cartilage. Cartilage does not show up very well on an xray.
Trouble weight bearing is serious so see a doctor as soon as possible.
Dr. Robinson
Dr. Kathy Robinson