Suggest treatment for hip joint pain, bruxism and indigestion

Dr. Bhagyalaxmi Nalaparaju

Posted on Sat, 4 Oct 2014 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: Hello Doctor,

1) I am suffering from hip joint pain (right side leg) from last 2 months. I tried some ointments but not getting satisfactory result. I am vegetarian and eat normal food 3 times a day. (Morning Idly, afternoon rice,dal night rice dal.) Please suggest me some medicines for the same.

2) Teeth bruxism is another problem I am facing from last few years. I personally feel that I don't take much tension of anything in life, (but I get angry very soon with few people) but in internet it is showing main cause of bruxism is stress. I read few tips from net and keeping my upper and lower jaws away from each other, but not sure know how much helpful it is.

3) Often I get infected with cold.

4) I face problem with digestion as well. from last few months I need to go 2-3 times a day to clear my stomach. Earlier it was only once in the morning.

Kindly let me know in which fields i need to change to overcome these problems.

Thanks & Regards XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Bhagyalaxmi Nalaparaju 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Answers below.

Detailed Answer:
Hello XXXXXXX

1. Joint pain: Is pain radiating to legs?
Do you have any numbness or tingling?
Have ever done x ray of hip joint or L-S spine?
According to your history it may be related to bone problem or due vitamin B12 deficiency since you are vegetarian.

2.Teeth bruxism: It may be due to gums or teeth sensitivity. Yes, stress, anxiety and angry one of the cause as you said. I suggest you maintain oral hygiene by using chlorohexidin mouth wash for few days. Vitamin C tablet like Limcee once a day for one month. If you will not better after 2-3 weeks then I suggest you visit a dentist to rule out any jaw related problems.

3.Cold: If you gets cold often mostly due to allergy to dust or pollen or cold whether.
I suggest you Levocetrizine once a day for one week when you gets cold.
Steam inhalation twice a day.
4.Digestion: I suggest you Omeprazole 30 minutes before breakfast on empty stomach for 4 weeks.
Probiotics like Vibact ds after food once a day and yogurt will help you.
All above mentioned medication are available at over the counter.
Drink plenty of fluids. Avoid spicy and oily food.

If you have any queries I will be happy to help you.
Thank you.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Bhagyalaxmi Nalaparaju
Follow up: Dr. Bhagyalaxmi Nalaparaju 19 hours later
Hello Doctor,

Thank you very much for your valuable reply and suggestions. I will surely follow the prescribed medicines.

Regarding teeth bruxism : Will "oil pulling" help? My dentist suggested this for me.

Regarding Joint pain : I never felt numbness or tingling. Never done any x-ray as well.
Whenever I walk for 2-3 KM that time only I get hip joint pain and along with that even calf will also pain (comparatively calf pain is less). Pain will start especially in the evening and after full rest, morning everything will be fine till evening.
even my mother is having similar problem on right hand, right leg, and right side of neck).

Kindly suggest some permanent solution for this problem.

Thanks & Regards
XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Bhagyalaxmi Nalaparaju 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
You can try oil pulling.

Detailed Answer:
Hello XXXXXXX
Thanks for your follow up.

Teeth bruxism: You can try oil pulling. I am not sure whether it helps you or not.
If you will feel better with after 5 days of oil pulling then you can continue.
You can try warm salt water gargles.

Joint pain: I suggest you anti inflammatory medication like combiflam tablet after food. Use it whenever you gets pain. If you will not feel better after 5 days of medication then I suggest you get vitamin B 12 and x ray of hip joint done.
For vitamin B 12 deficiency I would prescribe Neurokind medication or injections.
This is prescribed medication.
For your mother also you get vitamin b12 test done.
Hope I have answered your query.
Thank you.