Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
193 Doctors are Online

Suggest treatment for high fever

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General Surgeon
Practicing since : 2002
Answered : 3190 Questions
Hello doctor. my fathers age is 62 yr. he has fever 102 since yesterday. today he has checked BP and found to be 170. please suggest what needs to be done. thanks XXXX
Posted Mon, 3 Mar 2014 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Deepak Kishore Kaltari 20 minutes later
Brief Answer: Finding out cause of fever important Detailed Answer: Hi Welcome to Healthcare-Magic Greetings of the day Dear XXXX As you must be aware fever is not a disease but its a manifestation of disease. Temperature of 102 is significant especially in elderly individuals. What are the other associated complaints he has 1. Does he have any respiratory symptoms like cough, running nose 2. Any urinary complaints like dysuria, increased frequency of micturation 3. Is his appetite good? It would be useful if you could provide history of other associated complaints. Single recording of raised blood pressure has to be collaborated by repeating the recording of blood pressure again, if its still elevated when he has no fever then he needs to be started on anti-hypertensive medication after doing appropriate baseline investigation. In the meantime Tablet Paracetamol 500mg as and whn required can be used for control of fever Chest infection, non specific viral infection and Urinary tract infection are commonest causes of fever in elderly individuals. Do get back to me for further assistance. Take Care Best Regards Dr Deepak Kishore MBBS,MS,MCH Consultant Surgeon
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Suggest treatment for high fever 1 hour later
Hello Dr. XXXXXXX Thanks for your mail. He is not having any cough or running nose or urinary complaints. He is a diabetic patient with Blood sugar 140 after food. Now he is taking less food and is having body ache. Thanks XXXX
Answered by Dr. Deepak Kishore Kaltari 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Advisable to consult your Physician Detailed Answer: Hi Dear XXXX Post prandial blood sugar level of 140 mg% is acceptable . In a Diabetic individual with high fever it's important to thoroughly evaluate the patient for the following reasons 1. Any infection in an diabetes patient if not appropriately managed can lead to derangement of sugar control and sometimes lead to keto acidosis. So very much important to look for cause for fever and specifically rule out infection as the cause of fever even in the absence of symptoms suggestive of infection in the given system. If your father is on Insulin it's important to monitor blood sugar level at least twice a day using glucometer. Also if his oral intake is not adequate it's advisable to consult your treating Physician at the earliest top avoid fluctuations in sugar level. He would require the following investigation 1. Complete Blood count: presence of Leucocytocis ( increased wbc count) may be an indicator for presence of infection 2. Urine routine and microscopy examination and also Urine for Ketone bodies 3. HBA1C OR Glycosylated hemoglobin These will be the basic investigation required for further management. Even though his sugar level of 140 mg% is acceptable it's still advisable to see your Physician in view of the associated symptoms of XXXXXXX grade fever and decrease oral intake. Do get back to me anytime you need and further assistance or clarification, will be glad to assist you. . You can directly write to me. Wishing your father a speedy recovery. Take care Best Regards Dr Deepak Kishore MBBS, MS, MCH Consultant Surgeon
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Doctor Now

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor