Suggest treatment for high fever with rashes on body

Dr. Ivo Ditah

Posted on Wed, 24 Sep 2014 in Infections
Question: My son had a fever of 104 plus two days ago. He is 20. He was at college. No hiking or outdoor event. Came down suddenly with high fever, aches, pain, completely out of it. Took him to doctor who did not do strep test. Gave amoxacillin and cough medicine. Gave him Tylenol. This was Friday. Today he wakes up with red dots and a rash on entire body, excpet face and neck. Has dark spots on heels of feet. Tingling on heels. Black spots on left heel. Fingertips sensitive to heat and cold. Tood to doctor today. Thinks its a viral response. Took strep test. Nothing bacterial. Thinks its viral.
Answered by Dr. Ivo Ditah 18 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Infectious mononucleosis, wrong treatment choice!

Detailed Answer:
Hi and thank you so much for this query.

I am so sorry to hear of what your son has been experiencing and this rash. From the information you have provided, you son most likely had infectious mononucleosis. It needs no antibiotics and patients who receive amoxicillin would develop the typical generalized, itchy maculopapular rash on his body. This in no way suggest an allergy to this medication.

Talk to your son. Ask about recent kissing experiences and activities. He should have sore throat symptoms alongside swollen lymph nodes in the neck and head region. The spleen often increases in size and is very fragile. So, he should keep away from contact sports as this can cause splenic rupture.

All he needs are drugs to manage fever and pains. Amoxicillin has no use here.

I hope this helps. I wish your son well. Thank you for using our services and feel free to ask for more information and clarifications if need be.
Follow up: Dr. Ivo Ditah 1 hour later
We understand but our concern (his concern) is the pins sns needle feeling in his heel. It really is bothering him sns he is quite concerned. This is hindering his walking ability
Answered by Dr. Ivo Ditah 15 hours later
Brief Answer:
Let him take Tylenol and Ibuprofen!

Detailed Answer:
Hi and thanks for this follow up precision.

These spots are all suggestive of micro hemorrhages. The pain would be there and would disappear as the healing sets in. He needs to take pain medications like Ibuprofen and Tylenol as recommended by his pharmacist. Resolution would come with time while these medications relief him of the discomfort at the moment.

I hope this helps. I wish him a speedy recovery!