Suggest treatment for high fever while having cyclic vomiting syndrome

Posted on Mon, 4 Jan 2016 in Child Health
Question: My 7 year old son has an episode about every 1-2 months with severe nausea and vomiting along with a fever as high as 104, 105 (mainly in the evening and at night) with accompanying headache, abdominal pain and some dizziness. These episodes last anywhere from 2 days to a week. His pediatrician drew a CBC this week which was fairly normal but his sed rate and crp level were elevated. He has missed so much school that he may not even pass the 3rd grade. His gastroenterologist says it is cyclic vomiting and his neurologist says abdominal migraines - - but with the fever that high and the labs?
Answered by Dr. Diptanshu Das 40 minutes later
Brief Answer:
High fever can occur in cyclic vomiting syndrome.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for asking on HealthcareMagic.

I have carefully gone through the details and understand your concerns. It seems to be a case of cyclic vomiting syndrome although the diagnosis of abdominal migraine is not contradictory. In cyclic vomiting syndrome fever can be present. It has a genetic component and has an organic basis where some inflammatory underlying process is likely and that can explain the raised CRP and sedimentation rate.

Please didcuss with your doctor about the significance of a drug class called SSRI in the case of your son. It can a treatment for both the mentioned conditions and may be helpful.

Let me know if I could help further.

Follow up: Dr. Diptanshu Das 22 minutes later
All I know is that this has been going on for 2 years...I just can't keep watching him go through this. We end up in the ER most times getting fluids and iv meds. This last couple of times, he was so lethargic and weak...he's post 5 pounds in 3 weeks
Answered by Dr. Diptanshu Das 14 hours later
Brief Answer:
The condition can be cause of severe stress

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for writing back. Sorry for not being able to respond faster.

I fully understand your situation. But most importantly YOU need to understand the pathophysiology of what is going on. The following links will enlighten you in this regard:
XXXX
XXXX

Let me know if you need any specific help from me.

Dr. Diptanshu Das

Pediatrician