Suggest treatment for high fever in an infant

Dr. Sumanth Amperayani

Pediatrician, Pulmonology

Posted on Sat, 16 Jun 2018 in Child Health
Question: Hello Roctor, my baby is 4 months old and got a fever of 100.9, I have given her Pacimol half ml, please suggest me what to do, as I am very worried. I can’t go to a doctor at night
Answered by Dr. Sumanth Amperayani 45 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Suggestions on fever

Detailed Answer:
Hi...Thank you for consulting in Health Care magic.
Fever of few days without any localizing signs could as well a viral illness. Usually rather than fever, what is more important is the activity of the child, in between 2 fever episodes on the same day. If the kid is active and playing around when there is no fever, it is probably viral illness and it doesn't require antibiotics at all. Once viral fever comes it will there for 4-7 days. So do not worry about duration if the kid is active.
Paracetamol can be given in the dose of 15mg/kg/dose (maximum ceiling dose of 500mg) every 4-6th hourly that too only if fever is more than 100F. I suggest not using combination medicines for fever, especially with Paracetamol.

Please get back to me with the weight of your kid so that I can suggest you the dose.

Please quote what is the strength of paracetamol you have with you.

Regards - Dr. Sumanth
Follow up: Dr. Sumanth Amperayani 9 minutes later
jj
Answered by Dr. Sumanth Amperayani 1 minute later
Brief Answer:
I didn't understand please

Detailed Answer:
Please post your query

Regards - Dr. Sumanth
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Follow up: Dr. Sumanth Amperayani 6 hours later
Hello Doctor, Thanks for thr valuable solutions. My daughter is 4.5 months old and 6.7 kg weight. She was active day before yesterday but in yesterday evening, she got little irritated and is not active as she supposed to be. I have given her half ml pacimol. Do i need to visit to the doctor or should i wait for se time.
Answered by Dr. Sumanth Amperayani 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Suggestion onn fever for an infant

Detailed Answer:
Hi...I understand your concern.

Pacimol drops contain Paracetamol at 100mg/ml strength.

You can give 0.8ml of this drops (which you already have) every 4-6th hourly that too only if fever is more than 100F.

If your daughter is dull and lethargic when there is no fever or if she has fast breathing/ non-acceptance of feeds/ extreme unconsolable cry/ uprolling of eye balls/ incessant vomiting/ diarrhea/ decreased urine output - then you need to take her the pediatrician immediately.

I wish your kid a speedy recovery. If you need any future medical consultation and suggestions, I will be glad to help. You can approach me at the following link.
Once the pageopens there will be an option below my image as – ASK ME A QUESTION – click on it.

In this way even in health care magic you can follow up always with a single doctor who knows the history of your kid completely.

Please find the link below -

www.healthcaremagic.com/doctors/dr-sumanth-amperayani/67696

Regards - Dr. Sumanth Amperayani MBBS., DCH., DNB (Paediatrics).,