Suggest treatment for high fever in an infant

Dr. Pradeep Kumar

Pediatrician, Cardiology

Posted on Wed, 21 Sep 2016 in Child Health
Question: My infant is of 9 months suffering from fever more than 101 given meftal p twice 1ml and ibugesic for once in a span of 4hr gap same 1ml still the feveeris not getting down pl suggest what to do will show him tomorrow morning to the docter but for now pl suggest
Answered by Dr. Pradeep Kumar 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Dose of metal P is less

Detailed Answer:
Hello

Thanks for asking on this platform

Given dose of Meftal P is less and that may be the reason fever is not subsiding.
Average weight of 9 month old child is 7-8 kg.
The dose of mefenemic acid is 8-10 mg/kg/dose.
Each 5 ml of meftal P contains 100 mg of mefenemic acid.So for this age dose should be at least 3.5 to 5 ml.
It may be repeated at an interval of 8 hours.
Do sponging also to bring down the temperature.
Please consult a physician for evaluation of cause of fever and management accordingly.

Please let me know if you have any queries.
regards
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D