Suggest treatment for high fever in a child

Dr. Sumanth Amperayani

Pediatrician, Pulmonology

Posted on Wed, 21 Sep 2016 in General Health
Question: Hi Doctor,
Since yesterday my daughter (7 Years) is having fever . Yesterday morning she has 101 and after that it went away after giving ibugesic plus syrup but today again morning at 6 am when i checked it was 100.4 .
Do I need to include any antibiotic with above . I have advent 228.5mg syrup which i purchased last month only but did nt open . Can I give that to her along with Paracitamol syrup ?
Apart from fever no other issues . No allergy etc .

Any advice regarding food ?
Answered by Dr. Sumanth Amperayani 8 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Looks like viral illness - no need for antibiotic

Detailed Answer:
Hi...Thank you for consulting in Health Care magic.
Fever of few days without any localizing signs could as well a viral illness. Usually rather than fever, what is more important is the activity of the child, in between 2 fever episodes on the same day. If the kid is active and playing around when there is no fever, it is probably viral illness and it doesn't require antibiotics at all. Once viral fever comes it will there for 4-7 days. So do not worry about duration if the kid is active.
Paracetamol can be given in the dose of 15mg/kg/dose (maximum ceiling dose of 500mg) every 4-6th hourly that too only if fever is more than 100F. I suggest not using combination medicines for fever, especially with Paracetamol.

Regarding diet - yo can feed the kid any thing the kid likes and tolerates.

Hope my answer was helpful for you. I am happy to help any time. Further clarifications and consultations on Health care magic are welcome. If you do not have any clarifications, you can close the discussion and rate the answer. Wish your kid good health.
Dr. Sumanth MBBS., DCH., DNB (Paed).,
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng
Follow up: Dr. Sumanth Amperayani 53 minutes later
Thanks Doctor. Really Appreciate it .

one more query So under which circumstances we should we use Antibiotic ?

Advent 228.5 mg is good antibiotic under those circumstances for 7 year kid?

Answered by Dr. Sumanth Amperayani 40 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Indications for antibiotics are numerous - I can tell you the danger signs

Detailed Answer:
Hi...the indications for antibiotics are numerous. It is not age based for a 7 year old kid.

But I will tell you the danger signs of a bacterial infection because - antibiotics are indicated only if there is bacterial infection and the usual signs include -

1. Sick look
2. Dull and lethargic child even when not febrile.
3. Sore throat without cough
4. Enlarged liver and spleen with fever more than 7 days (101-102).
5. Altered sensorium and seizures.
6. Bone and joint infections.

These are some of the indications.

Usage antibiotics have to be curtailed when not indicated because - if we use an antibiotic without proper indication, then the bacteria will develop resistance for it and will not be useful next time.

Please search the net on the topic - ANTIBIOTIC STEWARDSHIP IN CHILDREN.

So the question is not a good antibiotic or bad antibiotic - the question is whether antibiotic is needed or not and if needed if it is an appropriate antibiotic or not.

Regards - Dr. Sumanth