• question-icon

Suggest treatment for high fever, cold and cough in an elderly person

Posted on Sat, 5 Aug 2017 in Elderly Problems
Question: My husband is 75 and a heart patient who is able to do most activities. However, he has come down with a bad cold, 101.5 temperature, coughing, etc. Does this sound like something that should be checked in an ER ?
Also vomited once following a coughing spell.

His fever has gone up to 102.2 and has chills
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 28 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Considerations

Detailed Answer:
hello and thank you for sending the question.

I'm sorry to hear that your husband is feeling ill. I am concerned that he has an underlying heart condition and is showing symptoms of perhaps a serious systemic infection.

since he is feeling quite ill with a temperature of 102° I am concerned that he could have something like pneumonia. This is something that I think should be evaluated as soon as possible. He may need to start antibiotics and as you might be aware, starting antibiotics sooner rather than later leads to better outcomes.

I suggest that you take him to your local urgent care or emergency department for immediate evaluation.

thank you again for sending a question. I hope your husband feels better soon.

Sincerely,

Dr. Galamaga
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Dr. Robert Galamaga

Oncologist