Suggest treatment for high fever and vomiting in a toddler

Posted on Fri, 19 Jun 2015 in Internal Doctor Category
Question: hello doctor - From y'day evening onwards my 4 years old girl not feeling good, fever 100 degree F and vomited few times which contains indigested food and yellowish colour sputum. We gave Meftal - P 5ml y'day night, still fever not decreased and vomiting sensation is there, looks like she is having scratchy throat because of vomiting. Please advice..
Answered by Dr. Prasad 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
continue paracetamol and emeset...

Detailed Answer:

Common cause of fever in children is a viral infection which take a few days to settle down. I will suggest you give paracetamol syrup round the clock along with ondansetron syrup. If you can let me know her current weight, I may be able to suggest the right dose.

Meftal P works goods, but for 6 - 8 hours. It should only be repeated if regular paracetamol syrup doesn't control fever. Therefore get back to me with her weight and we can discuss further.

Follow up: Dr. Prasad 6 minutes later
Thank you for your suggestion, she weighs 11 kg doctor.
Answered by Dr. Prasad 44 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Treat with paracetamol and emeset syrup.

Detailed Answer:
I will start her on Syp crocin DS 3.5 ml. This dose can be repeated every 4-6 hours based on needs. In between 2 crocin DS dose you can give her metfal P if and only when fever record is beyond 102 deg F. I am generally a little strict with this message because meftal P isn't a very safe alternative. It can induce gastritis and vomiting. Therefore it is better to keep meftal P under moderation.

Besides crocin DS, I will also start her on syp emeset (ondansetron) in the dose of 5ml. She can take it twice a day as long as she has nausea/vomiting. In most circumstance a day or two use of emeset should stop vomiting.

Encourage her to drink plenty of fluids and fresh fruits. Warm water (with salt) gargling can reduce throat irritation.

She will need antibiotic preparation if fever persists beyond 3 days or if the throat doesn't get better soon. So please watch her symptoms closely. You need to see the doctor when she start to complain about the throat or if you she has difficulty to swallow.

You can keep me posted about the problem over the next couple of days.

Hope this helped. Let me know if you need clarifications.

Follow up: Dr. Prasad 9 minutes later
thank you Dr., will do as you say and let you the status.
Answered by Dr. Prasad 23 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Welcome....

Detailed Answer:
Please be watchful as sometimes viral infection can become superadded with bacterial infection. Prolonged fever beyond 2-3 days and worsening throat pain are two complaints you need to look for.

Anyway keep me updated.

Dr. Prasad