Suggest treatment for high fever and shivering

Dr. Manisha Jain

OBGYN

Posted on Wed, 8 Mar 2017 in Pregnancy
Question: i am 29 years old i live in Australia , i had my first baby in May last year through c section. 2 days After delivery i developed high feveer and shivers. i had to have an ICU admission due to uterine endometrial infection(that is what i was told) .i was told i was tachycardic(and had tachypnoea,SOB) i developed blood pressure too after the delivery. I had high fever and shivers and after the course of antibiotics got over, i got alright.I was on lebatalol twice a day for my BP and i stopped it after 3 months,after consulting my GP (after my BP normalized). My BP is back to normal now for the past 4 months.My heart rate during the course of infection was around 150 but it came back to my normal heart rate after the antibiotics got over.my ECG , Ct scan,chest xray and echo scan were taken then and was told are normal . My BMI is normal and the cholesterol levels are fine too.

My discharge summary report says i had histopathological chorioamniotisis, but i didnt have any waterbreak and my delivery was at 40weeks +3 days, i had meconium stained liqor.3 ultrasounds were done and they couldnt find any retained products or fluid left behind.
could you please enlighten me about what would have caused the chorioamniotisis. i was tested positive for GBS at 38 weeks but didnt receive any antibiotics during delivery for it.My baby is fine.
thank you once again,

I am from XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Manisha Jain 28 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Bacterial infection of Amnion and Chorion.

Detailed Answer:
Hello XXXXXXX Welcome to HealthcareMagic.
Thanks for writing in to us with your health concerns.

Chorioamnionitis is the infection of the the membrane covering the fetus. It leads to symptoms such as high grade fever, increased heart rate and foul discharge from vagina.

So your symptoms profile very much meet the criteria for this. Causes can be due to bacterial infection of the vagina or the uterus. It can lead to prolonged labor and can cause delayed rupture of membrane .

But as you are saying that you developed fever after the C section so it can be related to post surgical infection also.

If you have any other concerns then feel free to write.
Dr Manisha Jain.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Follow up: Dr. Manisha Jain 3 hours later
thank you for the reply doctor
Could you please tell me if the post surgical infection can cause endometritis and what would be the reason for it because i developed fever and shivers only 2 days after my c section was done
Answered by Dr. Manisha Jain 12 hours later
Brief Answer:
Meconium stained liquor

Detailed Answer:
Hi sorry for the delay in response as I was struck in some emergency.

Meconium stained liquor is the only probable cause that can lead to such an infection and fever.

Other reason is generally a sub clinical vaginal infection which was present already but got exacerbated after surgery due to surgical stress related decline in immunity.

Mostly there is nothing to worry except that you should opt for elective cesarean section in next delivery .

All the best

Follow up: Dr. Manisha Jain 2 hours later
Thank you doctor for finding time to reply.may god bless you always.
Answered by Dr. Manisha Jain 19 hours later
Brief Answer:
All the best

Detailed Answer:
Most welcome dear.
All the best