Suggest treatment for high fever and cough in an infant
For first 2 days we gave her calpol and homeopathy. As the fever still continued we took her to Alopathy doc and the doc prescribed antibiotic (augmentin syrup), crocin syrup and chericof for cough. Kid has cough (mucuous) with fever.
4 days have gone past and we are already on 5th day. Fever of 102 F with cough is still there. My baby girl has also become cranky and not having food properly.
Please suggest a way forward
Get a blood test done
Hello , Welcome to HCM
Thanks for the query
I can understand your concern.Most common cause of cough/cold with fever in this age is some viral infection.Bacterial infection is second most common cause.
In viral infection fever usually starts declining after 3-4 days.In your case it is 4th day which is borderline. So I would like to wait for another one day and monitor the trend of fever.
I won't get overly worried if number of fever spikes per day has declined,there is no breathing difficulty.
Irritabilty and some loss in appetite is common in any illness.
I would suggest you to continue giving plenty of fluids and to observe for urinary output.
Hydration status can be assessed well with urine output and you need not to worry if urinary output adequate.
I would like to get a Complete blood count (CBC) and CRP (c reactive protein)done .
If CRP is high which is suggestive of bacterial infection and fever continues for next 24-48 hours;consult a pediatrician for clinical evaluation and to assess the need of further hike in antibiotic if any.
If fever subsides,cough may persist for next 4-5 days and that is not of much concern.Continue giving augmentin,cough syrup and antipyratic.
I hope this helps.
Please let me know if you have any more query.
1. 5days gone past. My kid still has fever.the doc advised tdy that i continue with mftal, augmentin, chericof and prospan for next 2 days. So how long should i wait if my kid has same fever and cough ?
2. Is there any other thing i need to take care for the next few days. Like what other symptoms should i be vary of before i ring the alarm bell?
3. Also am i on the right track? Any suggestions /advise is most welcome.
I agree with your doctor
Thanks for follow up
I agree with your doctor.Although usually fever shows in declining trend in 3-4days in viral fever,sometimes it may prolong.
The main concern is to rule out bacterial infection or worsening of respiratory infection.
As the chest Xray is clear and blood report shows lymphocytic predominance,it suggests that the infection is limited to upper airways and is viral.
Sometimes due to inflammation of tonsils fever may persist for longer duration.
Prospan is a good cough syrup and works well in thinning and expulsion of mucus from the airways.
I suggest you to follow your doctors advice.
Make a temperature chart to see the pattern of fever.Give paracetamol for fever and if fever recurs in less than 6 hours or persists even after giving paracetamol give meftal p in the prescribed dosage.
Give her plenty of fluids to maintain adequate hydration.
Watch for any breathing difficulty in the form of increased respiratory rate or chest in drawing. If you find any abnormality or baby is getting lethargic/irritable take her to the pediatrician.
If fever persists even after 2 days I would like to get c reactive protein (CRP)and culture test done in blood.CRP is a more sensitive marker of bacterial infection.Blood culture would also give a clue to the organism if there is any growth.
Wishing for her speedy recovery.
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Treatment and cure for persisting high fever
- Zinnat treatment for high fever
- What treatment is suggested for high fever
- Treatment and cure for high fever
- Causes of high fever in infants
- Suggest medication for high fever
- High fever mild cough
- Suggest treatment for high fever
- Child having high fever suggest the treatment
- Suggest treatment to cure high fever
- What are the symptoms of poisoning in a child?
- Suggest treatment for severe cough and fever in a child
- What causes cough, fasciculation, nasal congestion and fever?
- Can an infant be fed with castor oil to cure colic?
- What causes painful red blisters on tonsils?
- Suggest remedy for neck swelling in a child
- Suggest remedy for constipation in children
- Suggest remedy for persistent dry cough and cold in a child
- Suggest remedy for severe fever and cough in a child
- Suggest remedy for headache, dizziness and vomiting