question-icon

Suggest treatment for high fever and cough in an infant

default
Posted on Fri, 12 Feb 2016
Question: Hi my 2.5 yrs infant is having fever for last 4 days in the range 99 to 102 degree F.
For first 2 days we gave her calpol and homeopathy. As the fever still continued we took her to Alopathy doc and the doc prescribed antibiotic (augmentin syrup), crocin syrup and chericof for cough. Kid has cough (mucuous) with fever.
4 days have gone past and we are already on 5th day. Fever of 102 F with cough is still there. My baby girl has also become cranky and not having food properly.
Please suggest a way forward
doctor
Answered by Dr. Pradeep Kumar (1 hour later)
Brief Answer:
Get a blood test done

Detailed Answer:
Hello , Welcome to HCM

Thanks for the query

I can understand your concern.Most common cause of cough/cold with fever in this age is some viral infection.Bacterial infection is second most common cause.

In viral infection fever usually starts declining after 3-4 days.In your case it is 4th day which is borderline. So I would like to wait for another one day and monitor the trend of fever.

I won't get overly worried if number of fever spikes per day has declined,there is no breathing difficulty.
Irritabilty and some loss in appetite is common in any illness.
I would suggest you to continue giving plenty of fluids and to observe for urinary output.
Hydration status can be assessed well with urine output and you need not to worry if urinary output adequate.


I would like to get a Complete blood count (CBC) and CRP (c reactive protein)done .

If CRP is high which is suggestive of bacterial infection and fever continues for next 24-48 hours;consult a pediatrician for clinical evaluation and to assess the need of further hike in antibiotic if any.

If fever subsides,cough may persist for next 4-5 days and that is not of much concern.Continue giving augmentin,cough syrup and antipyratic.

I hope this helps.

Please let me know if you have any more query.

Regards


Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
doctor
default
Follow up: Dr. Pradeep Kumar (15 hours later)
Hi, thanks for your reply. I got my kids blood test and chest xray report today. Everything is normal - chest xray is clear and blood cell counts are within the expected range. Only the lymphocytes and monocytes were very much above expected and the doc said it is because of viral infection. My doc has now prescribed mftal p as a replacement for crocin syrup for fever. And also Prospan for cough to be given with chericof as my kid goes through terrible cough when we put her to bed. I have few questions
1. 5days gone past. My kid still has fever.the doc advised tdy that i continue with mftal, augmentin, chericof and prospan for next 2 days. So how long should i wait if my kid has same fever and cough ?
2. Is there any other thing i need to take care for the next few days. Like what other symptoms should i be vary of before i ring the alarm bell?
3. Also am i on the right track? Any suggestions /advise is most welcome.
doctor
Answered by Dr. Pradeep Kumar (1 hour later)
Brief Answer:
I agree with your doctor

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for follow up

I agree with your doctor.Although usually fever shows in declining trend in 3-4days in viral fever,sometimes it may prolong.
The main concern is to rule out bacterial infection or worsening of respiratory infection.
As the chest Xray is clear and blood report shows lymphocytic predominance,it suggests that the infection is limited to upper airways and is viral.
Sometimes due to inflammation of tonsils fever may persist for longer duration.
Prospan is a good cough syrup and works well in thinning and expulsion of mucus from the airways.
I suggest you to follow your doctors advice.
Make a temperature chart to see the pattern of fever.Give paracetamol for fever and if fever recurs in less than 6 hours or persists even after giving paracetamol give meftal p in the prescribed dosage.
Give her plenty of fluids to maintain adequate hydration.
Watch for any breathing difficulty in the form of increased respiratory rate or chest in drawing. If you find any abnormality or baby is getting lethargic/irritable take her to the pediatrician.
If fever persists even after 2 days I would like to get c reactive protein (CRP)and culture test done in blood.CRP is a more sensitive marker of bacterial infection.Blood culture would also give a clue to the organism if there is any growth.

Wishing for her speedy recovery.
Regards
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar
doctor
Answered by
Dr.
Dr. Pradeep Kumar

Pediatrician, Cardiology

Practicing since :2006

Answered : 1996 Questions

premium_optimized

The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on
Suggest treatment for high fever and cough in an infant

Brief Answer: Get a blood test done Detailed Answer: Hello , Welcome to HCM Thanks for the query I can understand your concern.Most common cause of cough/cold with fever in this age is some viral infection.Bacterial infection is second most common cause. In viral infection fever usually starts declining after 3-4 days.In your case it is 4th day which is borderline. So I would like to wait for another one day and monitor the trend of fever. I won't get overly worried if number of fever spikes per day has declined,there is no breathing difficulty. Irritabilty and some loss in appetite is common in any illness. I would suggest you to continue giving plenty of fluids and to observe for urinary output. Hydration status can be assessed well with urine output and you need not to worry if urinary output adequate. I would like to get a Complete blood count (CBC) and CRP (c reactive protein)done . If CRP is high which is suggestive of bacterial infection and fever continues for next 24-48 hours;consult a pediatrician for clinical evaluation and to assess the need of further hike in antibiotic if any. If fever subsides,cough may persist for next 4-5 days and that is not of much concern.Continue giving augmentin,cough syrup and antipyratic. I hope this helps. Please let me know if you have any more query. Regards