Suggest treatment for high fever and convulsions in child

Pediatrician, Pulmonology
Question
My baby (15 months old ) having fever for last two months..its goes around 101f ..we have done blood AEC ige and urine test but nothings comes found...we feel helpless now. He does not want to eat anything for last three days..its before he had high fever and got convulsion..what can we do?please guide us.he is still having fever for last five days which peaks once in 24hour
Posted Tue, 26 Aug 2014 in Child Health

Answered by Dr. Sumanth Amperayani 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Could be a recurrent viral illness or PUO

Detailed Answer:
HI...By what you quote I feel it cold be a recurrent viral illness. I have a few questions for you -

1. Is the fever coming daily for the past 2 months or intermittent? You are not clear as you told fever for the past 2 months in your opening statement and in the end you say its there for the past 5 days.

2. How long was the convulsion there and is is involving whole body or only once half?

3. Was he oriented and moving all limbs after he recovered form the convulsion?

4. How is his activity and feeding pattern when there is no fever?

Suggestions -
1. If it is recurrent it could just be any other recurrent viral illness which is quite common in this part of the season.

2. If it has been there "ON DAILY BASIS" - Then we need to work up on lines of pyrexia of unknown origin (PUO).

3. This convulsions seem to be febrile convulsions and are common in 4% of general population of children between 6 months of 6 yeas of age.

Hope my answer was helpful for you. I am happy to help any time. Further clarifications and consultations on Health care magic are welcome. If you do not have any clarifications, you can close the discussion and rate the answer. Wish your kid good health.
Dr. Sumanth MBBS., DCH., DNB (Paed).,

Follow-up: Suggest treatment for high fever and convulsions in child 10 hours later
My baby convulsion happened on 12.06.2014 after which continuous cough and cold persisted . after which fever came due chicken pox vaccine and finally came on 12.07.2014 due to throat infection as per my pedic.from that time he is having recurrent fever almost on daily basis.

1.Convulsion was there for 2-3 mins full body after which he was OK.
2.he is very much active baby eats only when desired most.food pattern changes when in fever a little bit.
3.As per my pedic he is still having a little throat infection.
4.his fever hovered around 99-100 but from last 2 days he is having cold and cough may be due to that fever is between 101-102.and coming 2 times a day instead of earlier days one time peak.

Answered by Dr. Sumanth Amperayani 10 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Recurrent viral illness

Detailed Answer:
Hi...after going through your history I feel that your kid is going through a phase of recurrent viral illnesses which are coming one after the other. The one good point on which we can wait before further proceeding with the investigations is that he is active when there is no fever. That rules out many sinistrous reasons.

But I suggest you to do the following -
1. Keep a chart of the temperature continuously for 4 days - check and note every 4th hourly and not less than that.
2. Paracetamol can be given in the dose of 15mg/kg/dose every 4-6th hourly that too only if fever is more than 100F. I suggest not using combination medicines for fever, especially with Paracetamol.]
3. Fever of few days without any localizing signs could as well a viral illness. Usually rather than fever, what is more important is the activity of the child, in between 2 fever episodes on the same day. If the kid is active and playing around when there is no fever, it is probably viral illness and it doesn't require antibiotics at all. Once viral fever comes it will there for 4-7 days. So do not worry about duration if the kid is active.

If after 4 days also fever is not getting better and is the same or worsening - I suggest you to hospitalize the kid and investigate for the following possibilities (as it is almost 2 months of fever now) -
1. Lymphoretiuclar malignancy.
2. Hemophagocytosis.
3. Prolonged viral illness.
4. Enteric fever or Typhoid.

I wish your kid a speedy recovery. If you need any future medical consultation and suggestions, I will be glad to help. You can approach me at the following link. Please find the link below.
www.healthcaremagic.com/doctors/dr-sumanth-amperayani/67696

Follow-up: Suggest treatment for high fever and convulsions in child 41 minutes later
few things I wish to add here in this discussion
1.he is teething that too with 3 tooth's at a time.out of which 2 are most inside ones supposed to be most difficult.
2.in this episode of fever his body and legs remain normal most of the time while forehead heats up.
3.he has been given test of malaria typhoid dengue anearobic blood culture chest pa view x ray montau test which have been done today waiting for report.
in the mean while doc has given rid air and lactrum powder.

Answered by Dr. Sumanth Amperayani 12 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Suggestions on fever

Detailed Answer:
Hi..

1. Teething will cause some pain and fever, but never so prolonged fever.

2. Usually forehead and head and tummy part are most hot during fever as they have a very good supply of blood. So do not worry.

3. Kindly get back to me with the reports - I will be in a better position to guide you. Meanwhile kindly continue the medicines prescribed by the paediatrician.

If you need any future medical consultation and suggestions, I will be glad to help. You can approach me at the following link. Please find the link below.