Suggest treatment for high fasting blood glucose levels
Yesterday morning (Monday) I resumed my normal schedule including my daily blood glucose test. The reading was 147. I repeated the test and the reading was 142. I decided to wait a day and repeat the test. This morning my reading was 124. In the years I have been doing these readings I have never had a reading higher than 64 and that turned out to be a one day anomaly.
Are there any immediate actions you would recommend my taking based on the above description? I am quite concerned about the consequences of even a brief period at these blood glucose levels. Based on my history to date my Internist has me on 1 mg. of amaryl per day taken each morning. Your thoughts would be most appreciated. I am a white male 75 years of age. I can supply a full electronic list of all my medications if requested
No major issues
Dear Mr. XXXX,
Noted your concern. Congratulations on maintaining a perfectly normal Hba1c.
Please do not worry about the recent couple of high fasting blood glucose readings. This is quite expected when you have a flu or similar illness and during the recovery phase. I wouldnt consider this as a major issue especially since you have a wonderful Hba1c. My advice would be to ignore the two high morning readings and observe the blood gluose readings in the coming days. If it remains elevated, we may need to modify medications. It may be a good idea to check post meals or rando blood glucose occasionally.
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Treatment for high glucose
- Suggest treatment for high blood pressure
- Suggest treatment for high blood glucose levels
- Suggest treatment for high level of prolactin
- High fasting blood sugar treatment
- Treatment and cure for Impaired fasting glucose
- Suggest treatment for high tsh level
- Suggest treatment for high immunoglobin level
- Slightly elevated blood glucose and treatment
- Treatment for glucose fasting is115