Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
144 Doctors are Online

Suggest treatment for high cortisol

User rating for this question
Answered by
Practicing since : 2003
Answered : 1414 Questions
I suspect I am suffering from high Cortisol levels, and I have just completed a Saliva test to confirm it. Can you please tell me, what is the best treatment for high Cortisol. I have read there are many nutritional supplements, but I have also read there are several prescription medications, to treat it. Which do you think are best?
Posted Sun, 3 Aug 2014 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Binu Parameswaran Pillai 8 hours later
Brief Answer:

Detailed Answer:
Good day.
Noted your issues. I relise that you have difficulty losing weight despite being on good doses of medicines for hypothyroidism.
Hve you got the salive test back ??
If the tests finds high cortisol, then we need to confirm it again by a second test. It could be a urine test or a blood test. After confirming, they have to localize the source of high cortisol. And then you may beed CT scans or MRI to localize the source of high cortisol. Usually it is either adrenal gland or pituitary gland. They may refer you to an endocrinologist for work up. Once we localize, surgical removal of the high cortisol producing lesion is the best option.

Please remeber that high cortisol can also be due to number of orher causes like depression etc. Your endocrinologist will do necessary tests to rule out these. There are no nutritional supplements to treat high cortisol levels. We use medicines only if it is not operable.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Internal Med Specialist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor