Suggest treatment for high cortisol

Excellent
Question
I suspect I am suffering from high Cortisol levels, and I have just completed a Saliva test to confirm it. Can you please tell me, what is the best treatment for high Cortisol. I have read there are many nutritional supplements, but I have also read there are several prescription medications, to treat it. Which do you think are best?
Posted Sun, 3 Aug 2014 in Medicines and Side Effects

Answered by Dr. Binu Parameswaran Pillai 8 hours later
Brief Answer:
Hi

Detailed Answer:
Good day.
Noted your issues. I relise that you have difficulty losing weight despite being on good doses of medicines for hypothyroidism.
Hve you got the salive test back ??
If the tests finds high cortisol, then we need to confirm it again by a second test. It could be a urine test or a blood test. After confirming, they have to localize the source of high cortisol. And then you may beed CT scans or MRI to localize the source of high cortisol. Usually it is either adrenal gland or pituitary gland. They may refer you to an endocrinologist for work up. Once we localize, surgical removal of the high cortisol producing lesion is the best option.

Please remeber that high cortisol can also be due to number of orher causes like depression etc. Your endocrinologist will do necessary tests to rule out these. There are no nutritional supplements to treat high cortisol levels. We use medicines only if it is not operable.

Binu