Suggest treatment for high cholesterol levels
I am a 48 year old menopausal mom with two kids, one disable - so I am a primary caregiver/parent. I have had borderline high cholesterol for several years and been told by eye docs for at least 15 years that I've had cholesterol deposits they can see in my eyes. My father had a stroke and dementia. No other history I am aware of. Recently, when I had a routine eccocardiogram for history of mild mitral valve prolapse, my doc checked my CRP and Lipoprotein(a) for first time ever. The CRP was 1.52 (I've been recovering from a bone bruise and other swelling in my right foot metatarsals), and my Lipoprotein(a) was 173. CRP was .5 in 2015. My doc is contemplating statin or niacin w/aspirin therapy, but I am not thrilled with either side effects. I am contemplating dietary changes and supplements such as Vit E, C, and CoQ10, and fish oil instead? My recent cholesterol tests were HDL - 69 and LDL 143. Total number was 224. There is alot of confusing information on how to treat. My weight is 145 lbs., 5'10" and otherwise healthy. Just regular muscle aches and pains from handling a disabled child. I excercise at least 3 days per week, but with my foot injury - not much lately. Any advice, please!
Medicine not required
I understand your concerns.
Most effective way to reduce cholesterol and it's associated effects is to follow a healthy diet and exercise regimen. Goal is to lose some weight and maintain healthy diet which has almost zero cholesterol and Sugar.
Avoid oil and Sugar as much as possible and continue with exercise.
I dint think you need medicines. Medicines alone won't help much.
Let me know if you need anymore help.
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Suggest diet for high cholesterol treatment
- Treatment and cure for high cholesterol level
- Extremely high cholesterol levels
- High cholesterol levels in women
- Diet for high cholesterol levels
- Natural high cholesterol treatment
- Very high cholesterol level
- What is high cholesterol level
- Treatment and cure for high cholesterol
- High cholesterol causes and treatment
- Suggest treatment for endometriosis
- Suggest treatment for extremely painful back and pelvis due to adenomyosis
- What causes postmenopausal bleeding, severe elbow pain and ankle swelling?
- Do Duphaston and Siphene help in getting conceived?
- What causes swollen painful pubic area post full hysterectomy?
- What causes bleeding ears and pain under lower left rib cage?
- What causes lesion on labia minora with negative STD panel test?
- Does I pill taken two years ago cause irregular periods?
- Is NuvaRing an effective reversible method of birth control?
- What causes itching around labia after menstruation?