Suggest treatment for high cholesterol levels

Dr. Sukhvinder Singh

Cardiologist

Posted on Mon, 1 Sep 2014 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: Hi Doctor,

Recently I had a Routine blood test and the results shows that I have a high cholesterol. Kindly suggest the medication for the same. I have attached the medical repot for your reference.

Thanks
XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Sukhvinder Singh 50 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Please see details.

Detailed Answer:
Dear Sir
You may send your reports to YYYY@YYYY or YYYY@YYYY . Please do write in subject line : ATTENTION DR SUKHVINDER XXXXXXX
Please also provide me with your clinical details including
1. If you smoke?
2. If you have high blood pressure or diabetes or heart attack or stroke?
3. Your usual blood pressure (value in numbers).
4. Are you already taking any medicine?
Waiting for your reports and details.
Sincerely
Sukhvinder

Follow up: Dr. Sukhvinder Singh 2 days later
Hi Doctor,

I have sent the reports at YYYY@YYYY id, please have a look and let me know your thoughts.

Answers to your clinical details:

1. If you smoke?
-Yes I used to smoke but I quit few days back (around 10 days).

- No Heart Attack/stroke.

- I had my BP checked and it showed 73/123 and pulse rate was 76.

4. Are you already taking any medicine?
- No Medication started.

Thanks
XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Sukhvinder Singh 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
please see details.

Detailed Answer:
Dear sir
You have high triglycerides and low HDL. This combination is prevalent in diabetics, alcohol users, obese people, people who don't exercise, people who have thyroid and kidney disorder. Out of these diabetes, thyroid, kidney disease are ruled out by your reports. Refrain from alcohol. Maintain ideal body weight with body mass index of 23. Do daily exercise like brisk walk for about 45 minutes. Too much reliance on carbohydrates in diet like rice or cereals also lead to high triglycerides. Take a balance diet and may have opinion of dietitian. Avoid sweets and fried food.
If you have definity left smoking, this lipid profile do not warrant any medications.
You should adopt healthy diet and life style and repeat lipid profile after 12 weeks.
Feel free to discuss further.
Sincerely
Sukhvinder
Follow up: Dr. Sukhvinder Singh 10 minutes later
Thank You Doctor for your kind advice.
Is there any medication required to balance the high triglycerides and low HDL.

Thanks
XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Sukhvinder Singh 4 minutes later
Brief Answer:
please see details

Detailed Answer:
Nope sir
Not at all. I wrote so in last answer. This lipid profile does not require any medication as of now. Your medication is life style and diet modification. Please do not restart smoking.
Sincerely
Sukhvinder
Follow up: Dr. Sukhvinder Singh 3 minutes later
Thanks Doctor.
Answered by Dr. Sukhvinder Singh 7 minutes later
Brief Answer:
welcome sir

Detailed Answer:
Welcome sir
Sincerely