Suggest treatment for high cholesterol level

Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein

General Surgeon

Posted on Mon, 11 Aug 2014 in Child Health
Question: my son just recieved results from blood test and colesteral at almost 1000 . what are the side effects of this, I know this is dangerously high?
Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 32 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Hi and welcome to HCM

Detailed Answer:
This is extremely high cholesterol level and this must be treated. Such values are seen usually in condition, known as familial hypercholesterolemia so he should do genetic testing as well. Such values wont cause something acute,but if prolonged,this will cause cardiovascular disorder which could be more or less serious,including some fatal consequances such as heart attack or cerebrovascular insult. So he should have apropriate medications and start healthy diet,regulate body weight and do sport and check cholesterol levels frequently and keep it below 500. Wish you good health. Regards