Suggest treatment for high cholesterol, deranged LFTS and Dyslipidemia

Dr. Anshul Varshney

Posted on Mon, 25 May 2015 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: Have performed a complete health check of my brother and noted he his having a very high cholesterol and some issues in Liver profile. Can you evaluate his report and let me know the way ahead. BP measured yesterday shows 110/140, but will recheck it today, as he is having no symptoms of discomfort.
Answered by Dr. Anshul Varshney 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
A further evaluation req for deranged LFT.

Detailed Answer:
Welcome to Healthcaremagic.
Hi, I am Dr Anshul Varshney , I have read your query in detail , I understand your concern.
There are following issues in his reports:
1. Dyslipidemia
2. Deranged Liver functions.
3. Vitamin B12 and D deficiency.
His BP is also high. Now the good news is that the cholesterol derangement is not so much, that he requires medicines. This can be controlled on medicines.
His liver functions are deranged, for which he requires further evaluation. In case he consumes alcohol, that might be the reason behind the derangement. In case he doesn't he should get tested for hepatitis B and C. If found negative, this would be due to Non Alcoholic Fatty Liver Disease. He should get his Ultrasound abdomen for the confirmation.
For fatty liver, high blood pressure and high cholesterol, i would advise him to:
1.Reduce his weight.
2.Avoid Fatty food in diet.
3.To consume potato, rice, oil, ghee, sweets, carbonated beverages in moderated amount only.
4. Avoid alcohol and smoking in case he does.
5. Take low salt diet.
6. Start exercises and if possible ask him to join a gym for a good workout.
Get his lipid profile repeated after 3 months and write back to me with reports.
As far as Vitamin D is concerned, he can be started on a Vitamin D supplement that is Cholecalciferol 60 K units once a week. And for Vitamin B12, he can take injections once weekly.
This is my personal opinion based on details available here. If you still have any other query, you may please ask me.
Stay Healthy.
Dr Anshul Varshney , MD