Get your health question answered instantly from our pool of 18000+ doctors from over 80 specialties
199 Doctors Online

By proceeding, I accept the Terms and Conditions

Dr. Andrew Rynne
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

HCM Blog Instant Access to Doctors
HCM BlogQuestions Answered
HCM Blog Satisfaction

Suggest treatment for high cholesterol, deranged LFTS and Dyslipidemia

Answered by
Dr. Anshul Varshney

Internal Medicine Specialist

Practicing since :2009

Answered : 3072 Questions

Posted on Mon, 25 May 2015 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: Have performed a complete health check of my brother and noted he his having a very high cholesterol and some issues in Liver profile. Can you evaluate his report and let me know the way ahead. BP measured yesterday shows 110/140, but will recheck it today, as he is having no symptoms of discomfort.
Answered by Dr. Anshul Varshney 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
A further evaluation req for deranged LFT.

Detailed Answer:
Welcome to Healthcaremagic.
Hi, I am Dr Anshul Varshney , I have read your query in detail , I understand your concern.
There are following issues in his reports:
1. Dyslipidemia
2. Deranged Liver functions.
3. Vitamin B12 and D deficiency.
His BP is also high. Now the good news is that the cholesterol derangement is not so much, that he requires medicines. This can be controlled on medicines.
His liver functions are deranged, for which he requires further evaluation. In case he consumes alcohol, that might be the reason behind the derangement. In case he doesn't he should get tested for hepatitis B and C. If found negative, this would be due to Non Alcoholic Fatty Liver Disease. He should get his Ultrasound abdomen for the confirmation.
For fatty liver, high blood pressure and high cholesterol, i would advise him to:
1.Reduce his weight.
2.Avoid Fatty food in diet.
3.To consume potato, rice, oil, ghee, sweets, carbonated beverages in moderated amount only.
4. Avoid alcohol and smoking in case he does.
5. Take low salt diet.
6. Start exercises and if possible ask him to join a gym for a good workout.
Get his lipid profile repeated after 3 months and write back to me with reports.
As far as Vitamin D is concerned, he can be started on a Vitamin D supplement that is Cholecalciferol 60 K units once a week. And for Vitamin B12, he can take injections once weekly.
This is my personal opinion based on details available here. If you still have any other query, you may please ask me.
Stay Healthy.
Dr Anshul Varshney , MD

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar

The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions ,   ,   ,  
Drug/Medication ,  
Lab Tests
Medical Topics

Recent questions on  Cholecalciferol

doctor1 MD

HI I have pain on left side above the stomach and its a bone pain. This bone is paining last 3 weeks and now little bit pain on my breast also. I...

doctor1 MD

my daughter is under medication for chroans disease. she is consu ming one sachet of elmes powder daily since 2006. her vitamin d3 level is less...

doctor1 MD

Hi, I'm a 53 year old woman and I had a very dry throat a couple of months ago, I constantly had to try and clear my throat. It was extremely...

doctor1 MD

getting pain in some parts of chest in random time any type of injections for D3 and B12 and dose for same as per reports

doctor1 MD

Hello Doctor, I have hypothyroidism and was taking Thyrox 100 and went for routine test last month. Tsh was found in normal range and around same...

doctor1 MD

Low votamim d of 20 after 8 weeks of 50k ui it went done from 26 how can this happen on such a high dose

doctor1 MD

Occasionally notice cloudy or chalky cast to urine. No other particular symptoms accompany this. Only med include daily regimen of Lunestra (3mg),...