Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
194 Doctors are Online

Suggest treatment for high cholesterol and diabetes

User rating for this question
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2003
Answered : 1558 Questions
I have uploaded the blood test reports of my father. As per my understanding, he has high level of cholesterol and diabetes. Could you please check and advise what should be the next steps. He is currently 62 years old and is residing in XXXXXXX
Posted Fri, 22 Aug 2014 in X-ray, Lab tests and Scans
Answered by Dr. Vaishalee Punj 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
You are correct

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for your query.

You are correct. His blood sugar is out of control. His blood lipid levels are also deranged.

Firstly about the blood sugar levels..Is your father taking anti-diabetic medicines. It is known that diet and exercise are the mainstay of treatment. Medicines are given when sugar does not get controlled with lifestyle measures.

Now about blood lipid levels i.e cholesterol and LDL levels are outside normal range. These warrant the institution of low fat diet. Milk products like butter, ghee, sweets, cheese, etc are to be avoided. He may need lipid lowering medicines at these levels, since he has high blood sugars.

Consult your doctor to get a prescription for it.

Dr Vaishalee
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Lab Tests
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Radiologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor