Suggest treatment for high cholesterol and diabetes

Dr. Vaishalee Punj

Posted on Fri, 22 Aug 2014 in X-ray, Lab tests and Scans
Question: I have uploaded the blood test reports of my father. As per my understanding, he has high level of cholesterol and diabetes. Could you please check and advise what should be the next steps. He is currently 62 years old and is residing in XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Vaishalee Punj 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
You are correct

Detailed Answer:
Hi

You are correct. His blood sugar is out of control. His blood lipid levels are also deranged.

Firstly about the blood sugar levels..Is your father taking anti-diabetic medicines. It is known that diet and exercise are the mainstay of treatment. Medicines are given when sugar does not get controlled with lifestyle measures.

Now about blood lipid levels i.e cholesterol and LDL levels are outside normal range. These warrant the institution of low fat diet. Milk products like butter, ghee, sweets, cheese, etc are to be avoided. He may need lipid lowering medicines at these levels, since he has high blood sugars.

Consult your doctor to get a prescription for it.

Dr Vaishalee
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Ashwin Bhandari