• question-icon

    Suggest treatment for high blood sugar levels

Posted on Thu, 2 Jun 2016 in Diabetes
Question: Hi

I am 36yeras old and found the sugar content in body suddenly more it is 209 and after food it is 310 mg.I want to know how can i control this and need your guidance to make it normal asap.

Answered by Dr. Abhay A Mali 43 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Diet restrictions, exercise & medicines are important for diabetes control.

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for your question.
Noted your concern.

In such a scenario I may suggest following investigations -
- Complete Blood Count.
- HbA1c.
- Lipid Profile.
- Renal Function Test.
- Liver Function Test.
- Urine examination including urine ketone.

Considering your age, asymptomatic nature despite of high blood sugar & fact that your parents are diabetic there is likely possibility of Type 2 diabetes in your case. Which may be confirmed by physical examination.

Most of time with even in Type 2 Diabetes with such blood sugar level I may suggest to start with small dose of night time long acting insulin (Insulin Glargin) along with oral medications.

Usually most of patients refuse insulin treatment, in those patients I may suggest to start Metformin 500mg once day with gradual increase to 1500 to 2000mg over a period of 2 weeks. Along with Metformin Tablet containing Sitagliptin 100mg once a day (Considering normal Renal function & heart status).

With this treatment may have suggested to repeat fasting and post-prandial blood sugar levels after 3 to 4 weeks and accordingly further changes in medicines can be suggested.

Along with Medicine role of Diabetic diet & exercise is very important.

- Consult near by dietitian for your diet assessment so that he/she can plan diet for you depending upon your height, weight & food habits.

- Regular exercise - moderate degree of exercise at least 150 min a week (depending upon your physical tolerance) may be suggested.

Hope this helps you.


Dr. Abhay Mali.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Sonia Raina
Follow up: Dr. Abhay A Mali 17 minutes later

As per your request I uploaded the report and do suggest me on this so that I can follow the treat ment or any doctor in XXXXXXX whom I can visit for consulting will be great.

Answered by Dr. Abhay A Mali 24 hours later
Brief Answer:
Metformin & Teneligliptin may be started

Detailed Answer:

Sorry for delayed reply.

After going through your reports, I may suggest to Start with Tablet containing Metformin 500mg once a day along with Teneligliptin 20mg once a day with gradual increase in dose of Metformin to 500mg three times a day over a period of 2 weeks.
Repeat Fasting & Post-prandial blood sugar levels after 3 to 4 weeks subsequent changes in medications if required can be done.

As these are prescription medicine you have to consult any diabetologist or endocrinologist.

Along with medication follow diabetic diet & exercise as advised earlier.

Myself practicing in XXXXXXX
You can visit my profile page on Healthcare magic.

Hope this helps you.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Answered by
Dr. Abhay A Mali


Practicing since :2006

Answered : 805 Questions


The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on

Recent questions on  Lipid profile

doctor1 MD

i am 48 years old I regularly taking Atorcia TG tab daily , Xirtam 20 my lipid profile are given cholesterol - H 203 triglycerides - H 813...

doctor1 MD

Dear Sir, I am 37 Years old, my weight 65kg, I am suffering from diabetes last 10 years & Cholesterol from 6 years now Neuropathic pain also. I am...

doctor1 MD

i went to the dr. 4 months ago and they said i need to lower my cholesterol are they would have to put me on medication. so i went back this week...

doctor1 MD

For the past 4 days, my blood pressure has been running anywhere from 130/95 to 120/102. My blood pressure is usually normal (typically 120/78 or...

doctor1 MD

Hi, Can you please check my blood, ecg and usg reports and let me know on which areas should I take care? Also, any suggestions on any specific...

doctor1 MD

My Father has been gone through the medical health check-up.I need your input over the attached reports.My father is taking medicine triglynase1...

doctor1 MD

My Father has been gone through the medical health check-up.I need your input over the attached reports.Mainly i want to know the health of the...

Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties

148 Doctors Online

By proceeding, I accept the Terms and Conditions

HCM Blog Instant Access to Doctors
HCM Blog Questions Answered
HCM Blog Satisfaction
Questions Answered By Dr. Abhay A Mali
  • Q - How long does gestational diabetes take to resolve?

  • Q - What causes elevated blood sugar levels?

  • Q - What causes weakness all over body and numbness on left side of chest?

  • Q - What does the following microalbumin report indicate?

  • Q - What does high fluctuation in blood sugar levels indicate?

  • Q - Is there any scope for further improvement in vision of a diabetic patient?

  • Q - Can oral anti-diabetic medicine be taken after LVAD implantation?

  • Q - Suggest medication for elevated blood sugar levels

  • Q - What do my lab test reports indicate?

  • Q - What causes abdominal pain, spasms and frequent sticky stool?