Suggest treatment for high blood pressure

Dr. Prabhakar C Koregol

Cardiologist, Interventional

Posted on Thu, 14 Jul 2016 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: Sir I have a problem of high blood pressure form, last 2 months (158 / 100). I consulate with nearest doctor and they give me tablets of 50 MG (i do not remember the name of tablet). I also do all the check up and blood reports, all reports r normal and within the range also. after some time my BP is showing (138/90) and remain same now i am not taking tablet. But from last 2 months my heart is pumping very fast (that i feel). i feel my heart beat when i was sleeping , when i was seating when i was not doing any work. So pleae tell me what can i do there is some problem or not.
Answered by Dr. Prabhakar C Koregol 11 hours later
Brief Answer:
You need ECG and some work up and treatment

Detailed Answer:
First of all have an ECG done to know if any abnormal or irregular beats. If any abnormalities they need treatment. If it's normal then you need not to worry. If normal but fast heart rate on ECG then you need to have look at Echocardiography and Thyroid function to see any abnormalities.

If everything is fine and if still you have fast rate and high BP then it is needed to be treated with beta blockers, along with anxiety reduction and subsequently it should be possible to withdraw drugs..
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee