Suggest treatment for high blood pressure

Question
My blood pressure measured in the morning was 149/98 and pulse 81. I took my medication ZESTRIL and after 40min it reduced to 120/88 and pulse 72.
Posted Wed, 6 Aug 2014 in General Health

Answered by Dr. Vaishalee Punj 6 hours later
Brief Answer:
Hi again

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Thanks for the followup

Your blood pressure is in the level of stage 1 hypertension. I need 3 consecutive readings on different days. Since you are feeling better with zestril, you can continue it.

Let me know if I can assist you further.

Dr Vaishalee

Follow-up: Suggest treatment for high blood pressure 16 hours later
Thank you all your answers.
Please kindly explain the relationship between blood pressure and defecating. I woke around 035hrs and I measured my BP. It was 131/94 and pulse 77. I was feeling uncomfortable in the stomach What time. I went to the toilet and relieved. I took the readings again and dropped to 123/78 and pulse 79. I noticed this before I was even diagnosed of high BP. I was not even monitoring my BP. I used to be greatly relieved after visiting the toilet and breathing in and out.

Answered by Dr. Vaishalee Punj 8 hours later
Brief Answer:
Many reasons behind it

Detailed Answer:
Hi again

Blood pressure is related to many physiological and pathological variables.
Pathological variables are disease conditions and show up in clinical history, tests etc.

Now you are talking about a physiological variable. Defecation can cause a decrease in bp by eliminating excessive fluids and electrolytes. It is preceded by an urge to defecate and fullness of abdomen which may be increasing your bp. You may also be having some infection in your gut. Defecation removes the dead cells and germs that may also be decreasing your bp. It is relaxing and must be helping in decreasing your bp. Defecation redistributes the blood flow and must be decreasing your bp.

I would like you to get tested for renovascular disorders too.

See your doctor to get tested.

Take hygienic food and clean drinking water to help with any infections of gut.

Dr Vaishalee

Follow-up: Suggest treatment for high blood pressure 13 minutes later
I love the way you give explanations. I am having a heaviness in the head. Right now my BP is 127/90 and pulse 88

Answered by Dr. Vaishalee Punj 22 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Take a pain-killer

Detailed Answer:
Hi

Take a pain-killer like advil (ibuprofen) for the heaviness in your head. Go for salt-free and low calorie diet. Avoid foods like junk food, juices, milk products (cheese, butter, creamy foods, mayonnaise, sugary treats, etc).

Relax.

Dr Vaishalee

Follow-up: Suggest treatment for high blood pressure 3 hours later
Can high BP cause weakness? I was weak before taking the reading so I had a glass of juice. Before starting the medication, I never used to feel this way though be never knew I had this condition. I wake up with pain in my left leg close to my ankle. Is this also due to high BP?

Answered by Dr. Vaishalee Punj 20 hours later
Brief Answer:
Described below

Detailed Answer:
Hi

BP does not cause weakness, but people with high BP usually report it. It may be more of a side effect or after effect of BP medicine when BP comes down.

Pain in leg is also not caused by BP. If you describe the pain in detail, I will be better able to identify the cause. Most probably it is a bone pain and will go away on its own.

Dr Vaishalee

Follow-up: Suggest treatment for high blood pressure 1 hour later
Please I have more questions. I feel feverish when my BP rises and a little bit of dizziness

Answered by Dr. Vaishalee Punj 23 hours later
Brief Answer:
Points towards infection

Detailed Answer:
Hi again

BP with fever points towards an infection. As I already stated, please get the basic blood and urine tests done to check for it.

Dizziness is more of a symptom of low BP. It is possible that your BP is either fluctuating up and down or you have orthostatic hypotension from the medicines.

Dr Vaishalee

I'm yet to do these tests. I have to travel to another city. I will let you know. My BP fluctuates up and down

Answered by Dr. Vaishalee Punj 17 hours later
Brief Answer:
I will wait for your reports

Detailed Answer:
Hi

I will wait for your reports.

Dr Vaishalee