Suggest treatment for high blood pressure while having UTI

Dr. Ilir Sharka

Cardiologist

Posted on Fri, 26 Aug 2016 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: On Tuesday I went to the doctor because I was very jittery, had occasional waves of nausea and just feeling really off. My BP was 165/107. I was diagnosed with a UT but I had no traditional symptoms. I was told my BP was high due to the infection. I was put on Batrim and took one on Tuesday and have been taking it twice daily since - it's a 10 day prescription. I don't have the nausea any more but today am somewhat jittery. Should the antibiotic already alleviated these symptoms? Or am I just expecting too much too soon?
Answered by Dr. Ilir Sharka 6 minutes later
Brief Answer:
I would explain as follows:

Detailed Answer:
Hello!

Welcome and thank you for asking on HCM!

Regarding your concern, I would explain that Bactrim has already started its action against the UT infection.

But, it may need some days to get you free from this infection.

Besides, I would also recommend you to closely monitor your blood pressure. If your blood pressure is still high, you should discuss with your doctor on the possibility of starting anti-hypertensive therapy (if you are not actually taking any).

An urine bacterial culture would be necessary if your symptoms persist even after a couple of days, while on Bactrim.

Hope you will find this answer helpful!

Best wishes,

Dr. Iliri

Follow up: Dr. Ilir Sharka 21 minutes later
So, should I wait through the weekend continuing the bactrim and see if the symptoms subside or should I make an ER visitor?
Answered by Dr. Ilir Sharka 19 minutes later
Brief Answer:
I would recommend waiting.

Detailed Answer:
Hello again!

I recommend waiting through the weekend for Bactrim to act.

Meanwhile, it is important to closely monitor your blood pressure.

Hope to have been helpful!

Kind regards,

Dr. Iliri